• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good mobo for slot type of CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got a Soyo SY6BA+ 100 board from mwave.com for $89 + shipping. It's got some really neat overclocking features in it like auto pci bus adjustment that keeps the pci bus between 30-37 mhz, adjustable vcore and several bus speeds between 100-150 fsb. It also has a highpoint 370 raid controller that can also be used for your ATA 100 hard drives. All I have gotten to do with mine so far is just to test it because it's a Christmas present. I have a new cD0 P3 1000E flip chip ready to run in an Abit slotket 3 and I am planning to see how far I can push it.

The P3V4X i have goes up to 166fsb, but i think there are some better ones made buy abit that go higher like to 200mhz...

The Soyo SY-6BA+100 actually goes to 166 MHz. I thought the Asus P3V4X had been crippled in the newer versions with a PLL chip that only went to 150 MHz and that there were only limited FSBs available. I know there was a lot of complaining about that on the old Overclocker's forum a few years ago. Plus it's one of those poor performing VIA 133A chipset mobos while the Soyo SY-6BA+100 uses the fast BX chipset. I have the older Soyo SY-6BA+IV which runs rock stable with the FSB at 155 MHz, which is the limit on that board. My old GeForce 256 DDR and current GeForce2 GTS DDR AGP cards had no problems with the out of spec AGP bus.

Yes, that was my mistake on the SY-6BA+100, it does go up to 155 fsb. I just checked it in the bios. I snuck it out today while my wife was at work; put a fried Epox 8KTA board in the box.:D I have a sale for my BH6 and slot1 P3 1000E board and proc and I'm not going to have my secondary computer down till Christmas. I put in my cD0 P3 1000E flip chip on an Abit slotket on the board and so far I've had it up to 1330/133 fsb. Right now I'm trying ol' man's burn-in technique on it and have it running on a 66 fsb with 2.05v vcore, while running the prime95 torture test and the toast program.

Abit Sh6 is about as good as your going to get with a Slot Cpu

Bus Speeds 50 - 96 MHz (2:3:1) (in 1MHz increments)
50 - 140 MHz (3:3:1) (in1MHz increments)
50 - 250 MHz (4:3:1) (in 1MHz increments)
50 - 250 MHz (4:4:1) (in 1MHz increments)
Voltages Supported Auto Detect
1.30 - 1.90V (in 0.05V increments)

1.gif

The SH6 is the only Slot 1 motherboard available for the i815. The SH6 includes integrated audio and graphics features such as AC'97, 2X 3D Graphics Acceleration as well as an AGP Slot and a CNR Slot. With a 133MHz FSB, Ultra UDMA 100 support for up to 4 IDE devices, AIMM module support, AGP4X and SoftMenu™ III, the SH6 is loaded with power.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Specifications ]

CPU
1. Supports Intel Pentium® II/!!! slot1 processor up to 1GHz based on 100MHz & 133MHz FSB
2. Supports Intel Celeron slot1 processor up to 733Mhz based on 66MHz FSB

Chipset
1. Intel 815E (ICH2) chipset
2. Supports 66/100/133MHz(Front Side Bus)
3. Supports AGP 1X/2X/4X (Sideband) 1.5/3.3V device.
4. Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)
5. Supports Ultra ATA/100,Ultra ATA/66,Ultra ATA/33 mode.

Graphics
1. Chipset integrated AGP 2X 3D graphics acceleration.
2. Support AIMM (AGP In-line Memory Module)

Memory
1. Four 168-pin DIMM sockets support SDRAM module
2. Supports up to 512MB MAX. ( 64, 128,256MB SDRAM)
3. Support 100MHz,133MHz SDRAM interface

Audio
1. AC'97 2-channel Audio CODEC on board
2. Audio driver included

System BIOS
1. CPU SOFT MENU™III technology and DIP switche funtion.
2. Award Plug and Play BIOS supports APM, DMI
3. Write-Protect Anti-Virus function by AWARD BIOS.

Multi I/O Functions
1. 2 channels bus Master IDE Ports support Ultra DMA 33/66/100 (up to 4 devices)
2. PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Connectors
3. 1 Floppy Port (up to 2.88MB)
4. 1 Parallel Port (EPP/ECP)
5. 2 Serial Ports
6. 2 USB Connectors
7. On board USB header for two extra USB channels
8.1 standard 15 pin VGA connector.
9. Audio connector (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in, and Game Port)

Miscellaneous
1. ATX form factor
2. 1 Universal AGP slot, 6 PCI slots and 1CNR slot
3. Hardware Monitoring - Including Fan speed, Voltages, CPU and System temperature and one thermal header for other devices temperature monitoring
4. Keyboard and Mouse Power On
5. Built-in Wake on Lan / Wake on Modem header
6. Digital Video out interface supports digital display or TV out (Option)
7. Built-in IrDA TX/RX header

I would recommend the Abit BE6IIv2.0. they are pretty hard to find but it's worth the trouble. It's the most OC friendly slot 1 board that I have owned. Only bad point abt it is that the cpu slot is too near to the dimm slots. So u may lose the 1st dimm slot if u use a big heatsink.

I also own a SH6, it's stable but only allows a max of 512mb ram and the is no option to adjust the V i/o. It loses to the BX-based boards in terms of raw performance but it's really hard to tell the difference unless you run some benchmarking programs. Advantage of this board is that u get the 1/2 AGP divider at 133fsb and above.

I had a 6BA+100 for a couple of days but I returned it. I originally intended to run this board with 1gb of ram, but someone warned me that I will need registered 256mb ram if I am gonna fill up all 4 dimm slots. Since I did not want to make the additonal investment in registered ram, I returned it. This board is closest to the BE6IIv2.0, it even has the same problem with the CPU-dimm slot spacing:p Also, if u r not using a slotket, there is limited Vcore options on this board, it only allows up till +10%. And this board does not allow 1mhz increments to the fsb, there is a big gap between from 144 to 150mhz fsb. If that is the sweet spot of ur cpu is between these 2 values, I would think twice b4 getting this board.

Thanks all..:D

About SH6 and BE6II..i think later would be a better buy, for 815 chip does not offer the performance like BX chip, so i think i will go with BE6II2. By the way, i like soyo's board, but since vc adjustment is so.... :eek: you know, so i will still go with abit.

Where can i find it tho? beside pricewatch.com?

By the way, i like soyo's board, but since vc adjustment is so.... :eek: you know, so i will still go with abit.

?????????????

I have the Soyo SY-6BA+IV with an FC-PGA PIII 700 mounted on an Iwill slotket. With that setup you can set the core at any value you want. Mine's been at 1.95V for about a year and a half rock stable at 994 MHz. I had it set as high as 2.25V in overclocking experiments. It's the ideal board to use with a slotket because all the BIOS does is increase the core by a percentage of what is automatically set on the slotket. No modding of any kind is needed. Soyo slot 1 BX boards are your best choice for unlimited core voltage settings, not Abit board. You've got it backwards.

to DaveB

i totally agree with what you said, but please bare in mind that i dont have single fc-pga type of CPU. All my cpus are slot type, and since i dont want to purchase another CPU just for the sake of one mobo, it is not like for me to get any luck if i were to buy a soyo board..Vcore problem..:eek: Anyway, i just check the soyo wetsite for more accuate information on soyo 6ba+100..uh, it is a discontinue board!! anyway, it is a nice board with nice features, just too bad i could not make full use of it...:( by the way, fsb can be pushed as high as 166..that is amazing..:D Thankz for your relpy tho.

Back