• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hoping to make a quick buck selling a PS3 on ebay? have a look at this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.games/11/15/gameconsoles.ebay.ap/index.html

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- People pining for the sleek PlayStation 3 gaming console might find shortages on eBay as well.

The unfettered online marketplace for such items as Elvis memorabilia and Ferraris is imposing restrictions on the PS3, which is expected to become one of the hottest holiday gifts when it hits stores Friday.

Only established eBay Inc. vendors -- those who have racked up comments from at least 50 previous customers and have positive ratings of at least 98 out of 100 points -- can list PS3s before Friday. Each vendor can only list only one PS3 per eBay account.

The listing must include a photo of the pre-order receipt, and the seller must guarantee shipment within 30 days from the date of purchase. Before Friday, PS3s can be listed on eBay only in auction formats -- not as "buy it now" items.

Potential buyers, trying to avoid long lines, rain checks and empty-handed sales clerks on Friday, have already bid up PS3s to $2,300. The suggested retail price is $500 for a basic PS3 with a 20-gigabyte drive and $600 for a version with 60 gigabytes, built-in wireless and a Blu-ray DVD player for high-definition video.

Sony Corp., which has already delayed the PS3 launch twice, expects to have 400,000 PS3s available for its U.S. launch. EBay listed 3,144 PS3s or related items by Wednesday morning.

The restrictions, part of eBay's standing policy for all "pre-sale" items, also apply to Nintendo Co.'s competing Wii console, which goes on sale Sunday. EBay had 2,354 listings for Wiis and related items.

Microsoft Corp. launched its Xbox 360 console last year.

"We've seen a history with highly anticipated game consoles in extremely short supply during their initial launch," eBay spokeswoman Catherine England said. "With the Xbox, we saw a high number of well-intentioned sellers unable to meet obligations due to restricted supply."

I guess it would really only affect those that are "shady" or those looking to sell more than one.

The bottom is falling out of this. Some auctions of the Japanese units are actually going for LESS than retail now.

This is what happens. Too much online market saturation. When so many of this item starts showing up on online auction places, the price tanks. Just like IRL.

Greedy bastages. This looks good on them!

This won't really matter if you wait in line then sell the unit because you already have it on hand.

Oni said:
The bottom is falling out of this. Some auctions of the Japanese units are actually going for LESS than retail now.

This is what happens. Too much online market saturation. When so many of this item starts showing up on online auction places, the price tanks. Just like IRL.

Greedy bastages. This looks good on them!

Beautiful.

Seriously, how many people are actually going to play the darn things? At that price for craptacular launch software? Launch software always stinks.

Even the 1 or 2 proven IPs will be rushed with only half a year on decent dev kits and any dev will admit Sonys software is sub-par.

Its true theres a sucker born everyday, unfortunately they don't all have $2k to buy ebayed PS3s.

My preorded a 360 prem package before it came out, then sold it for 1200, and it was a buy it now auction, he could have made a lot more mula.

Exactly what I've been hoping for, more units available than people who want them, therefore prices should not skyrocket. Sony probably realized this was going to happen and therefore cut their production in half thus making their console appear to have less supply than demand and making people want it even more because after all, people want most what they cannot have.

kayson said:
This won't really matter if you wait in line then sell the unit because you already have it on hand.

Yup its just to get away from what happened with the X360 and lots not getting there pre-orders right away.

I was hoping prices on ebay would plummet since I have to do school work and can't wait in line for a couple days, lol.

Ha, yall are crazy. The PS3 prices on Ebay are not going to fall through anything. Sony does not have any warehouses full of PS3's just waiting to do 2nd and 3rd shippings unlike Nintendo. There is no where near enough demand for all the Sony Fanboys or little brats whining to their rich parents to get them one for Xmas.

The price is high, its going to stay high for a while. It may even go insanely higher as it gets close to Xmas and if none can be found anywhere in retail and lots of ppls pre-orders never get filled this year.

Even with the system stinking to high heaven, stuttering like a mother, and few if any good launch games the demand is still going to outstrip supply for a long time. The 360 was going for hundreds more than retail well into Feb & March last year. Tons of them were dead and dying left and right. Launch titles sucked. And there were a good number more of those available.

If I could sit out for 3+ days, I would have considered trying to get one to re-sell just to pay for a ton of other Xmas stuff and still keep $600 aside to get one in 6 months.

I would totally wait in line to get one. $1000 profit for doing nothing for 3 days sounds good to me. Thats $13.90/hr. Pretty good if you ask me.

kayson said:
I would totally wait in line to get one. $1000 profit for doing nothing for 3 days sounds good to me. Thats $13.90/hr. Pretty good if you ask me.

eh, it CAN be worth it. Like at 24/7 walmarts that let you stand INSIDE.

but standing OUTSIDE a best buy, or a place that closes at night....14 bucks an hour is not worth freezing your A** off for 3 days, not able to go to the bathroom, cause you will lose your line. And can't get any food for the same reason, unless you have a friend/family member who will hold your spot for you so you can use a restroom, or bring you food.

i'm here in ohio, and i sure as hell don't want to be stuck outside for 3 days. it might not be so bad farther south where its warmer, and hasn't been raining every day for the past week. ( been raining almost ALL week. and its friggin COLD rain too, it SUCKS. but...its better than snow, and ice. so i can't complain TOO much......yet).

then there's the places up north, where its even colder, and are getting snow/freezing rain.

If your INSIDE the store, and you have a PSP or a DS, or are able to get some card games or such going with the other people waiting in line, then it might not be so bad.

though, this only works if you already don't have a job. cause if you have a job, and do this...well you WON'T have a job. unless for some reason, you decided to use 3 vacation days to get a console. though, i'd rather save my vacation days for other stuff. or at LEAST save them for PLAYING the console instead of waiting in line to SELL it.

oh well, just my view. Sony isn't getting my money, nintendo is. And that gives me more satisfaction than making a grand in profit from selling a PS3.

So do I, but I don't sit at my desk for 72hrs straight. If I did I could easily buy one off Ebay heh.

FudgeNuggets said:
I make a lot more sitting at my desk here at work :rolleyes:

to be fair, check his profile. he's 17, and says his occupation is "student". aka: most likely doesn't have a job.

how old are you fudge? Naturally you'd be making more money than 14 an hour, but when your in high-school, and don't have a job, getting a grand for sitting around and doing nothing for a few days isn't SO bad.

for those of us who DO work, the deal isn't so great. but for those who are still in their teens, and don't have a job, its a damn good deal. at least, in my own personal opinion.

I guess no one has ever heard of ethics anymore. Price gouging is not my idea of a good way to make money. Try getting it the old fashioned way, earn it!:rolleyes:

Oh, and please don't tell me that it's legal, because legal and ethical are two different animals.

I'm 30 Zex and had an amusing thought. If you cannot leave your place in line for 3 days and you're THAT desperate to get one then I imagine you could get a pretty good shot at being first by not moving at all during that time and peeing and pooping your pants. After 3 days I'm pretty sure nobody would want to be near you and nobody would touch you to fight over it inside the store.

rseven said:
I guess no one has ever heard of ethics anymore. Price gouging is not my idea of a good way to make money. Try getting it the old fashioned way, earn it!:rolleyes:

Oh, and please don't tell me that it's legal, because legal and ethical are two different animals.

Well isn't sitting there and being one that gets it earning it? I consider it earning there money if they so wish to sell it after sitting in line that long.

Supply and demand my friend.

deathman20 said:
Well isn't sitting there and being one that gets it earning it? I consider it earning there money if they so wish to sell it after sitting in line that long.

True Free market capitalism leads us to The Matrix. Because the absolute goal is to make the highest possible profit regardless of any outside factors... such as humanity. This approach succeeded for many years for companies like Walmart, with its Roman-like employment practices. And it would probably be perfectly acceptable in a world run by machines.

But human beings are not machines.

And doing something idiotic... for the purpose of doing something morally questionable... and THEN saying you earned it, is exactly the kind of thing that landed Abramoff in prison.

deathman20 said:

Grabbing something you don't want and charging the person that does want it 3 or 4 times more than its retail price isn't earning anything.

Not that it doesn't happen all the time, but its not like you are contributing anything at all to the value of the product.

All I have to say is atleast its not the retard that hoard childrens toys like tickle me elmo to make a few dollars. Why the hell not just hold up 5 year old girls for their milk money. Pathetic.

Back