• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

c2d performance hit with 1:1 divider?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortbus_

i finally started benching my c2d and found something weird. Running at 500x7(3500MHz) @ 1:1 gets me a cpu score of 483 and overall score of 14664 in 3dmark03, while running at 333x8(2664MHz) @ 2:3 gets me a cpu score of 1656 and and overall score of 22142.

im not sure if something changed in the last 2 years, but i thought 1:1 was the ideal divider? Also its not like its a small discrepancy either. Memory speeds are the same in both instances, yet the slower FSB and slower clock overall wins by 3.5x in cpu score?

systems specs:

asus p5b-deluxe bios 0804
c2d e6400
xfx 7950gt
ocz xtc pc8000

all the latest drivers and windows xp w/service pack 2.

anyone have a clue whats going on here?

Last edited:
ocz xtc pc8000

had similar results in 05, still downloading 06.

hmm, it seems i have jumped to conclusions. tried running 333x8 @ 1:1 and the scores were about the same as 333x8 @ 2:3.

although that doesnt really solve my problem.

im guessing it has something to do with NB performance at or above a certian FSB.

Have you done any benching at around 399x8 or less? My guess is the same as yours, it's probably the NB loosening its timings at certian FSB, but I would imagine the score difference wouldn't be that large with the change in frequency too. :shrug:

yup works fine up to 399, then it craps out

Last edited:
something is wrong for sure. are you running a new bios?

i can't remember for sure, but i think at 3500mhz i got around 2100 for cpu score. its a guess, but i know i was over 2000.

ok, this is getting weird. was playing with the bus speed and numbers that were fine once are now flaky.

the northbridge feels way too hot, gonna rip it apart and put some AS on and add a fan if i can find one that fits.

Does ORB just calculate the frequency by multiplying the FSB by the default multi? The title of his orb project is 515x7 (which is 3.6ghz), but ORB says 4.1ghz (which is 515x8).

ahhhh, i didn't notice that, good eye. ;)

i was wondering why the cpu score was so close to mine..

the only thing that actually reports my cpu speed correctly is cpu-z. windows, orthos, and 3dmark all think its still an 8 multiplier.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
wow, all of a sudden you are benching at 4.1ghz??

what cooling have you got?

although i wasn't able to reach 4.1 i did manage to run superpi at 3.64... (water btw).

superpi-520.JPG

225 doesn't boot with less than 1.5v in bios, haven't messed with 221-224 yet, could probably get a bit tighter on the ram as well.

what vcore/load temp is considered to be safe on these chips (read from asus probe)?

Back