• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie can't get it working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malaphus

Registered
I'm a total newbie at this folding stuff... It sounded interesting though so I installed the app, during install it asked for my username which I gave it... then I went ahead and ran the app. It just sits in my system tray, never asked for a team name or anything.

I can't right click on it or left click or anything, I think it is because I'm at work and am behind a firewall but I cant get in to setting to tell it to use my Internet Explorer settings (like the FAQ said to do) because it is just hanging in my system tray. Does anybody know how I can tell it to use my proxy settings from IE BEFORE I actually run it?

My log looks like this:

Benchmarking ...
Running for the first time... setting up default configuration
- No machine ID found, requesting one from server
- Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Ask before connecting: No
- No machine ID found, requesting one from server
- Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS: - Getting ID from AS:

Any help would be appreciated!

Thx,
~Mal

Are you using ver 2? Ver2 asked for my proxy settings when I first ran it. At home, I didn't have any to enter so I cleared the fields and unchecked the boxes.

I got it working kinda... Now, it starts and I can get to config and stuff but when I open the main screen it just sits, it doesn't download any jobs or whatever its suppose to do.

OK, I tried the console version and get this:

Benchmarking ...
- Ask before connecting: No
- Proxy: kccfpxy2.proxy.att.com:8000
- ID = D0A291958752A1F

Loaded queue successfully.
+ Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
- Successful: assigned to (13.10.171.64).
+ News From Folding@Home: ⌂¨`Welcome to 2.0
- Error: Getwork failed -1, and no other work to do
Sleeping for about 5 minutes then retrying

I'm guessing this is also the problem with the GUI version. Any ideas?

Thx,
Mal

It's not even trying to connect to the right server. I've seen messages on this, but can't remember the fix off hand. I think I remember where I saw it though. I'll see what I can find out.

Well, I checked and there are a few other people are also having problems getting through the proxy at work. It's fetching an ID but no work. The logs seem identical to yours. They were running behind a Novell firewall. Haven't seen a solution and the last posts from this were from today. Vijay said, "This is weird." Siraj(who is mostly responsible for the programming) said, "I think I have an idea of what this could be."
and that was it. Hopefully they post a solution for it soon.

Well, when they fix it I'll have a quad xeon 500 box with 4gb of ram folding 24/7 for us :)

Back