• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my power supply busted?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Outrider

Registered
Alright, here's the situation and some of the specs im running with.

Abit IC7-G motherboard
478 Socket Prescott E Processor 3.0GHZ (not overclocked just yet)
Nvidia 6600 GT Graphics Card XFX model
480W TrueBlue Antec Power Supply
System is 2 years old, motherboard was RMAed and replaced 2 weeks ago.

If the other periphereal specs are needed just say the word.

The computer is having a problem where it will do a random reboot, and the problem has only gotton worse, now to the point that it will not go into BIOS anymore, or past the windows loading screen.

Initially I figured it was an overheating issue, but all the temperatures checked out just fine, with the hottest being the CPU at 50Degrees Centigrade. (Which is actually not bad for a Prescott, I upgraded the CPU fan a week ago thinking overheating was the problem).

The problem is persisting, and I decided to test out if it was the power supply, and this is where it gets strange.

When I input a new power supply (some offbrand replacement I got from a friend to test) The system would work and run at heavy load just fine for a few hours. Then it would shut down and followed the same pattern of my original power supply. Then thinking it might be a coincidence, I input a 3rd power supply similar to the 2nd, and loaded it up. The same thing happened where it would accept the new power supply for a few hours, and then crapped out.

Any ideas? I tested the GPU by switching it out with the same model one from my brothers comp, and I didn't notice a change.

Oh, one other thing is it keeps thinking the CPU is unworkable or has been changed in the BIOS. Which I have done no such thing since putting on my new CPU fan. The processor was slightly damage... but wouldn't it not even start if the processor was damaged?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the processor was damaged, you probably won't even get any bleeps.
Probably just a black screen with the fans and LEDs.

Sounds more like the motherboard.

Could be a lot of things. Power supply, ram, motherboard, bios update needed. I would start with a new brand name 400w+ power supply. Maybe do a clean install? How about is that cpu properly supported by this RMA'd motherboards installed bios? See if there is a newer one and flash it.

Back