• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with a weird problem....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nephewkp

So a few days ago my gf was watching tv on the rig in my sig (the computer was basically being used as a htpc in my bedroom) when it locked up on her. She pressed the reset button....the computer no longer posts. I figured that maybe the gfx card died or something so I replace it with a pos pci card. It still doesn't boot. I then disconnect everything except the bare essentials (vid card and ram). it still doesn't boot. I then take the heatsink off, inspect the processor, clean it up a little and reapply AS5. The comptuer then fires up. I assume maybe the proc was overheating due to a poor heatsink seating or something. I then connect a dvd-rom drive and throw in a UBCD to run memtest. The test starts running so I go into my living room to watch some tv. I return after a few minuted to discover that the comptuer locked up. I then take one mem stick out....the comptuer doesn't post. So take that stick out and put the first one in....the computer still doesn't post. I doubt that both sticks went bad at once so I borrow a proc from work and swap out the processor thinking that maybe the processor was cooked. The comptuer fires up perfectly. I run memtest and it passed all tests so I'm thinking that the processor was the issue. I reconnect everything and boot into windows....so far so good. I then notice that the clock is incorrect so I proceed to reset it. Just as I am about to click OK the screen goes black and the hard drives halt all activity (they were still busy from starting processes). I think to myself that maybe windows freaked out due to some hardware change or something. I try to reset it but now it isn't posting again.

Did a bad PSU fry both processors? Did the mobo go bad? is the PSU and mobo bad?

The last thing that I want to do is keep feeding the computer processors only for the computer to destroy them all.

I've had the system for more than 3yrs and it has run without issue....why would it now suddenly freak out and die on a nice cool day? Oh, the system has been running at stock settings most of the 3yr period with the exception of maybe a total of 10 days.

Yes, I inspected the entire mobo and all the other components. Everything looks fine. Nothing smells of the magic blue smoke and the PSU isn't getting hot.

Back