• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blown PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dr-00

Hi guys,

I've been fiddling around with wiring LEDs inside my case today. I managed to get one working perfectly, plugging it into the red 5v+ pin of a molex connector and then into the GND pin.. like so

5v pin ----resistor--- LED -- gnd pin

(sorry for the awful diagram)

it was a bit dim however so i tried it with another LED just like this

5v pin --- led --- gnd pin

However this time when I switched the PC on,, lit up for a second.. then nothing. I figured OK so the LED blew... so i unplug it (the molex pins i were using were part of an extension type thing, a female socket then two males) , and try the power button again. Nothing. So i figure ah.. must have blown the plug fuse. I replace the 5A fuse found in the mains socket that plugs into my PSU, and try the power button again. quiet "bang" type sound although you could hardly call it that.. and some smoke coming from my PSU. Not good...

Have I blown my PSU totally? Is there an fuse inside the PSU itself that might have blown?? Could I have damaged my other hardware?? Help!
I dont see what could have gone wrong after I replaced the 5A mains fuse..

Thx in advance!

Back