• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone here got Verizon DSL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

We have Comcast here at our house...I should say my parents do. I've turned their computer into a gateway, then to a switch and for mine and my other siblings to use for internet. But now my stepdad goes and installs this update to some Mcaffee firewall program SO THAT NOW we have to install a crappy firewall that slows down our computers just to use the internet. The new update says each computer on the network MUST HAVE! McAfee Personal Firewall blah blah blah...installed, in order to connect to the internet behind their computer. It also says somewhere you can monitor their activity or some other BS like that...umm...no? Thats invasion of personal property there? Sorta like DRM. F that.

SO...Verizon is pretty cheap I've noticed...I don't need a whole lot of speed. 3mbps does it for me. Is it 3mbps down/up or 3mbps down/some kbps up? I couldn't find it on theirs site...or just didn't look hard enough. I play alot of games online alot...would I lag? Just never experienced dsl before...used to cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine has Verizon DSL and it sux donkey ballz. He's forever losing connectivity. When he does get online the speeds fluctuate alot. Sometimes he has some decent speeds, other times it's dead slow.

Evry once in a while he calls me to reconnect back to the net. Customer support is horrible and he's talked to so many non-english speaking so-called tech reps it's rediculous.

If you plan on going with Verizon, look into the FIOS ( Fiber Optics Online Service) in your area. From what i read and know an inside man @ Verizon, he's stated that it's a whole lot better DSL by far, and it's designed to compete against cable. I luv my cable ( Road Runner :cool: ) and I would never go back to a phone line again.

Take a peek here

Why don't you just uninstall all the Mcaffee firewalls and keep your current ISP?

ziggo0 said:
We have Comcast here at our house...I should say my parents do. I've turned their computer into a gateway, then to a switch and for mine and my other siblings to use for internet. But now my stepdad goes and installs this update to some Mcaffee firewall program SO THAT NOW we have to install a crappy firewall that slows down our computers just to use the internet. The new update says each computer on the network MUST HAVE! McAfee Personal Firewall blah blah blah...installed, in order to connect to the internet behind their computer. It also says somewhere you can monitor their activity or some other BS like that...umm...no? Thats invasion of personal property there? Sorta like DRM. F that.

SO...Verizon is pretty cheap I've noticed...I don't need a whole lot of speed. 3mbps does it for me. Is it 3mbps down/up or 3mbps down/some kbps up? I couldn't find it on theirs site...or just didn't look hard enough. I play alot of games online alot...would I lag? Just never experienced dsl before...used to cable.

I work for Verizon technical support. The 3mbps package (if you qualify) would be 3000kbits download / 768kbits upload. You shouldn't lag at all, but I can't guarentee it. What I can do is test your telephone number to see how close you are to the Central Office and to see what speeds you can be provisioned for, and if you can even get 3Mbps. PM me the number you'd want to have DSL on, and I'll run a test or two on it, and get back to you.

I also have a thread open to anyone who has technical questions about the Verizon DSL. Link here

jivetrky said:
Why not just buy a router so you don't have to route through your parents' computer? Then the firewall on their computer will not matter.

ya serious... why are you using that comp as a gateway... go buy a router ... heck you can get one for like 30 bucks... and BTW verizon ROCKS!... i had adelphia / timewarner cable internet... HORRIBLE... i switched to verizon fios 15mbit down 2mbit up and havnt looked back!... their DSL aint bad either if you get the faster stuff.

mage_x said:
Why don't you just uninstall all the Mcaffee firewalls and keep your current ISP?

My parents computer...not mine.

jivetrky said:
Why not just buy a router so you don't have to route through your parents' computer? Then the firewall on their computer will not matter.

I've suggested this to them...shot down...again...my parents computer, not mine.

ziggo0 said:
My parents computer...not mine.

I've suggested this to them...shot down...again...my parents computer, not mine.

why not just do it.... sometimes (expierence with my own parents) parents are hardheaded.... and many a times i have done something they have shot down only to have them love it... Like the switch from adelphia to FIOS...

There are goods and bads with cable and DSL. Cable is shared, so you can get a big bandwidth promise but not get to use it all if many people on your drop are pulling heavy downloads. DSL is very distance sensitive. If you are close and have new copper all the way to the CO then it is good. Otherwise every piece of degraded copper, every exta foot from the CO your speeds will drop. I think that really it is just a tradeoff and it depends what's available in your area.

FIOS seems really sweet. I would like to have it.:santa:

Well...I wouldn't be pulling a 'switch' on them, I'd be getting it for myself and no one else lol. They can keep there Comcrap :)

ziggo0 said:
Well...I wouldn't be pulling a 'switch' on them, I'd be getting it for myself and no one else lol. They can keep there Comcrap :)

Well you wouldn't be actually switching the internet provider. Just changing the Network setup inside your house. If you buy a router, you can then hook the DSL modem to it, then each computer to the router. This eliminates the need for the internet being routed through their computer. It would really be better for them too. Their computer doesn't have to use resources to route the internet through it. You could also consider it safer because their computer isn't directly connected to the internet, it's "hidden" behind the router.

ErikD said:
FIOS seems really sweet. I would like to have it.:santa:

fios is MEGA ULTIMATE SWEET!.... i ALWAYS get about 15.5Mbit down and right about 1850 up... no matter the time of day. Heck the SINGLE fiber optic cable (its about the size of 2 sata cables stacked on top of eachother) can run the internet, 4 phone lines, and fully hd digital tv and not even come CLOSE to the bandwidth possible.... its insane.

nd4spdbh2 said:
fios is MEGA ULTIMATE SWEET!.... i ALWAYS get about 15.5Mbit down and right about 1850 up... no matter the time of day. Heck the SINGLE fiber optic cable (its about the size of 2 sata cables stacked on top of eachother) can run the internet, 4 phone lines, and fully hd digital tv and not even come CLOSE to the bandwidth possible.... its insane.

tis not in our area though :(

I had Verizon DSL for almost a yesr an never had a single problem with it. I had the 3MB / 768k package.... no lag ever in my games... so I gotta give it a positive review... Comcrap, however (who is my ISP now that we moved) is HORRIBLE!!!! I swear there needs to be a class action lawsuit against these folks to get them into shape... :mad: :mad:

Nebulous said:
Friend of mine has Verizon DSL and it sux donkey ballz.

I agree, because their TOS sucks, because the TOS prohibits servers!

Thus don't be surprised if they also discriminate against advanced users. :mad:

Thus Verizon isn't better than lousy cable! :mad:

Despite being DSL, home servers have been banned, just like what seems to be typical with cable.

I refuse to go with an ISP that tries to control me like Hitler.

Thus boo Adelphia, Verizon and Charter!

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
I agree, because their TOS sucks, because the TOS prohibits servers!

Thus don't be surprised if they also discriminate against advanced users. :mad:

Thus Verizon isn't better than lousy cable! :mad:

Despite being DSL, home servers have been banned, just like what seems to be typical with cable.

I refuse to go with an ISP that tries to control me like Hitler.

Thus boo Adelphia, Verizon and Charter!

You couldn't be more wrong.

Residential Verizon does block port 80, which prohibits you from hosting a web server, but Verizon does not stop you from hosting games and other things. You probably have a Westell 6100, Versalink or Actiontec router, and just don't know how to configure it properly. All those are routers, and need to be set accordingly for hosting games or anything other than web sites.

If you are so "advanced" you'll know these things, and not spread incorrect information.

I have yet to get any infomation from the OP, so I guess they don't want Verizon or any information on Verizon. Case closed?

It sounds like maybe your parents want to possibly have the ability to monitor you and your siblings online activity. Getting a cheap residential router would pretty much take that ability away from them, since as of right now their computer is acting as the router and so all traffic goes through it.

This doesn't seem like an issue that switching to another ISP would resolve, even if you did switch to DSL they could still do the same thing now.

Well...over reacting at first...its just to monitor my computers 'security'...but if like...they are the main firewall..wtf do I need one for? I've ran the past countless years without a firewall & antivirus and never come across either...

Hurk said:
You couldn't be more wrong.

Residential Verizon does block port 80, which prohibits you from hosting a web server, but Verizon does not stop you from hosting games and other things. You probably have a Westell 6100, Versalink or Actiontec router, and just don't know how to configure it properly. All those are routers, and need to be set accordingly for hosting games or anything other than web sites.

But, hosting games may be considered a server and thus the connection may get terminated!

This I believe is also based on what I read on ocforums.

They may use police-state tactics to make sure that people aren't running servers by port scanning PCs!

Back