• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Opty 165 and Steppings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

I have a stock 3500 (130nm newcastle) amd64. I multitask a lot, i.e. game while folding while people downloading on my ftp server (although my ping in day of defeat is crazy when 2 or more people are downloading) So I am thinking of getting a dual core opteron. I have the chance to get a CCBWE 0551UPMW for $135 shipped. Should I get that or go to newegg and get a new one and take a gamble for $155 shipped?

Last edited:
This is from the Opteron Extreme Overclocking Wiki:

* Averaging <=2600
* CCBWE 0534SPMW
* CCBWE 0541RPMW
* CCBWE 0543TPMW
* CCBWE 0551UMPW/VPMW
* CCBWE 0604TPMW
* CCBWE 0607UPBW
* CCBWE 0609FPAW

I'd gamble with the newegg deal if you are looking to overclock. If you check the recent reviews at newegg of the 165 you can see what stepping they are currently shipping.

satandole666 said:
This is from the Opteron Extreme Overclocking Wiki:
Guess I got lucky - I've got one of the Optys on that list and I'm stable at 2.8 GHz on water but w/out de-lidding. I was running at 2760 on the stock cooler but couldn't Prime95 test past ~2 hours b/c of heat issues - the test didn't fail but I wasn't willing to go past 60°C ...

i think i actually may end up getting a 170 rather than a 165. My board won't do 330 mhz i am sure. Maybe 270 though and the extra multi would help.

Back