• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need Your Help Fast!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

yea you know when you format your hard drive and then in ms-dos you type in your cdrom drive letter, which is d:\ in this case. Then you type in d:\setup and it install win98se right? Ok well i tried to install ein xp the same way and it says that this program cannot be run under dos mode. what can i do? how the heck am i supposed to intall xp? please i appreciate any help!!!

yea i know but im doing this over the phone and my friend has an hp and he has no clue how to do anything in the bios and im afraid that he will mess something up.

I know what you are talking about. However, just have him go to the advanced features and set the first boot device to cdrom. It will solve his probs, just tell him to leave everything else alone. Start your own bios and walk him through it...

ok i got him into the bios and we started the installation but then windows xp gives an error saying that windows cannot continue becouse a component that is needed for installation to continou is not installed. (those are the exact words but they are close enough). whats the problem?

jeez, i don't know. You may have to personally go over there and figure it out. Could be something silly, or simple. I think that I have seen an error like that years ago, but can't recall. I personally would format, start fresh and boot off of the cdrom. I can't see what could be wrong with that.

Thanks for the compliment on the hat...Target $10, panama style.

Back