• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Home Network Sucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I have filesharing enabled on all of my family's PCs so we can transfer files and music easily. Unfortunately, XP sucks. Half of the time, the PCs don't see each other. Occasionally I'll get lucky and be able to get into a computer. My brother's computer has a lot of music on it, and whenever I try to get into the folder, the explorer window crashes on me. What gives??!?! Is there a way to fix this.

I'd open services.msc and dig around to see what is not running. Read through the descriptions. Also, a DHCP network is lots of fun with this kind of stuff, make sure you are using static internal IP's if you can.

Second the static IPs. For a computer that doesn't get moved around like a laptop, there is no reason to not give it a "permanent" IP address. Check your router's instructions for how to set static IPs.

No, you can share using XP Home as well, although the feature set isn't as good as in W2K / XP Pro.

But I'm not really sure about the "simplified file sharing" stuff, because I always turn it off...

Thanks!

Don't bother with static IP's and stuff. 9 out of 10 times problems like these are caused by various firewall/antivir software running on the different PC's. If you're behind a router with firewall, all you need is XP SP2's windows firewall enabled (it's actually not that bad) and the same workgroup name on all systems...

I wouldn’t say XP sucks. I have 7 machines at my house and 6 machines at my girlfriend’s house. My laptop adds 1 to each when ever I am at that location. I share between all 14 machines flawlessly. 3 are XP pro, 1 MCE, 1 win98, rest are XP Home. You need to look into other areas other then "XP Sucks"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx is great for syncing tons of music between machines.

Last edited:
kayson said:
I have filesharing enabled on all of my family's PCs so we can transfer files and music easily. Unfortunately, XP sucks. Half of the time, the PCs don't see each other. Occasionally I'll get lucky and be able to get into a computer. My brother's computer has a lot of music on it, and whenever I try to get into the folder, the explorer window crashes on me. What gives??!?! Is there a way to fix this.

i also got this problem alot :S

Never had an issue here. I always run the Network Setup Wizard on all PC's, and everything works fine - including copying my 160GB Music Library across the LAN, and Printer Sharing. I al so use the SP2 Firewall (behind a NAT Router, of course).

Yup - it must be the fact that "Windows Home Networking Sucks" :rolleyes:

17 compsin off, all XP pro with 3 home comps and no issues, for me it was usually my router, i reset my router and things would work again.

9 computers here at home, all work flawlessly with shared folders/mapped network drives.

Back