• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMOS Problem.... Urgent!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatdog

Hey guys, so last night I tried to do the whole "hot swapping" thing with my XBox because I wanted to do something with my XBox hard drive. It consists of unplugging the XBox hard drive while it's on and putting it into a computer.... that's also on. Anyway, I did that a couple times, and then the last time I did it, Windows froze and I had to do a cold restart. Well since then my computer hasn't been starting correctly. It would get power, and things would power up but the BIOS wouldn't initialize and there would be no signal to the monitor. So what I did was I took the battery out and waited a while before I put it back in to erase the CMOS and make everything default, and that worked, things started booting up but it did say "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" but it didn't detect anything in my IDE Channels (my CDRW Drive, and DVD Drive), but it did detect my SATA ports and my RAID config, but when it gets to the DMI Pool Data part, it freezes and doesn't start Windows.

So now when I try and take the battery back out and clear the CMOS, it doesnt want to start up anymore.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Um, if I understand correctly the Xbox harddrive is IDE, which is NOT HOT Swappable. You may have killed your IDE controller as a result. SOMETHING is dead.
And SATA is hot-swappable, but only if the chipset supports it.

If the contriller isnt fried it may not be detecting the drives if the settings in cmos are not correct as they may have gotten scrambled. If you can still enter cmos chek the disk drives and see if they are detected or will auto detect them.

Back