• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with NAS JBOD Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ForeverUnknown

Registered
Basically, I need a NAS setup that's able to run JBOD, but I don't even know how to even begin setting this up. I think I'm pretty much going to use the rig in my signature for this since I don't need it anymore, so I think most if not all costs are already covered. Any help and instruction will be appreciated.

If you guys need more info from me, please ask. I don't really know what I should write down at the moment.

well ive been playing with FreeNAS for a few weeks. has its ups and downs. theres a few other OS's out there specific to NAS applications. openfiler and naslite are two off the top of my head. no matter which way you go your rig is total overkill. i went with freenas as it seems to be the leanest. its based on FreeBSD. naslite is free, (but you gotta pay for some features?) or maybe it isnt free, can remember. its based on linux. openfiler is the probably the most robust, big footprint, based on fedora iirc. id sell the 6800 and throw in some funky pci or old agp card as the only graphics in these things is a command line.

I have a couple old passively cooled GeForce cards lying around and will probably switch to one of those for the system. My family is also running a pair of AMD 2500+ systems which I could use, but I'm not in the mood to screw around with that since mine's pretty much ready to go.

I was looking at FreeNAS last night, but I'm just not sure how stable/reliable it's going to be. The storage is going to be for my many photos, newspaper photog, so reliability is a must. Hopefully at a good price.

I'll check out NASLite and Openfiler. Thanks

freenas has been stable for me. so long as you format the drives with UFS and stay away from the software raid it should be fine. id say 99% of the "stability" issues are with people who havent heeded those two warnings.

Back