• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clearspeed boards are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, now for a "noob" question. What is a "Clearspeed" board ? Whatever the heck it is, is way, way out of my price range. If this is a personal joke please disregard this post, remember I'm just new to terminology. :shrug:

Patched said:
http://www.clearspeed.com/

I had to Google it myself but looks like its a co-processor

Hey thanx for the heads up. D'oh, I shoulda just Googled it myself. :shrug:
I don't think the current crop of folders is going to concern themselves with these types of boards. From reading that URL it's worrying between $6,000,000 and $10.000.000 dollars a year in light bills. I almost freaked when someone on this forum said his was $450 a month, but I imagine that's for a whole bunch of machines Even $450 a month was out of pocket for me, I fold petty much 24/7 with three machines and my bill may have increased $8 or $9 dollars. Could you imagine a $10,000,000 light bill? :attn:

sounds pretty reasonable for the board

One Advance board can perform up to 50 GFLOPS of
sustained performance while consuming less than 25 Watts (so where did such high light bills come from)
each board has 2 CSX600 coprocessors each has 96 cores that executes
up to 25 billion 64-bit floating point operations per second
from reading the on the website it seems you would need one board per cpu, (basically the same as we are doing with gpu folding) to handle the non floating point parts of the software
so at a retail price of $8000 dollars , That works out at $42 per core

sean uk said:
sounds pretty reasonable for the board

One Advance board can perform up to 50 GFLOPS of
sustained performance while consuming less than 25 Watts (so where did such high light bills come from)
each board has 2 CSX600 coprocessors each has 96 cores that executes
up to 25 billion 64-bit floating point operations per second
from reading the on the website it seems you would need one board per cpu, (basically the same as we are doing with gpu folding) to handle the non floating point parts of the software
so at a retail price of $8000 dollars , That works out at $42 per core

If I misunderstood the article I appologize. I got the high light bill thing from the article itself. $8000 a board is still way too high for me and a lot of folders. (even at $42 per core) I want to find a cure, not buy a hospital.

sean uk said:
sounds pretty reasonable.. each has 96 cores ... that works out at $42 per core

Holy jumping ground hogs! That's amazing!!

I WANT 96 CORES! :bday:

jws2346 said:
$8000 a board is still way too high for me and a lot of folders.

I bet if he had the right socket & supporting Folding client... lee would have one by Friday. :beer:

harlam357 said:
I bet if he had the right socket & supporting Folding client... lee would have one by Friday. :beer:

Says they are bringing out a pci version sometime this year ,, currently only pci-x
i have a pci-x scsi adapter in a standard pci slot working now so should work but with a limited bandwidth ??

lol!
I would chip in :p
I wonder when stanford will have a client out for it. I bet they probably have a couple boards already...thats some serious folding power.

Me too ... i would spring for a few cpu's worth of it.
... it could be the ultimate AAR !!

Although i won't get my hopes up too high till we see some achieveable folding results.

Back