• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Firewall Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

I just need an inexpensive solution that will connect my 2 computers together to the roadrunner cable modems. Cost is a major issue, with speed being the second most important criteria.

I am looking for a Firewall with 10/100/1000 capabilities. Id like it to be fast, since it will be used for gaming. Must be gigabyte, and I need 3 connections (I only have 2). Anyways, I have NO use for wireless... so any recommendations that lead to a purchase will lead to a few antennas sitting in a box, and the wireless turned off.

I hear allot of "Gaming" Firewalls/Routers, however I really feel that they may be blowing smoke up our rears.

When you don't know something then its time to ask. I help out allot of users here, and have a very detailed knowledge of computers. Problem is... I have NO Idea what to buy when it comes to Firewalls. I just haven't been in the market and haven't got a clue on whats out there, the benefits, and the current state of affairs.

Please Help
Mike

You're pretty close to asking for a lot and it being inexpensive. However, I saw this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122080
Since your bottleneck is going to be your Internet connection, (you're not even going to be CLOSE to 1gbs to the Inet,) you may also want to look at a Gig switch for your computer connections and connect your firewall at 100mbs to that instead of trying to find integrated 1000 ports. In any case, Netgear Prosafe has always worked fairly well for me; but, not as good as my PIX. My $.02

Yeah... I just want to share media files between my two computers...

It looks expensive... and not well reviewed

I'm assuming now that you don't want a really high-end dedicated firewall, and that a GbE-capable router will suffice. If you really want a dedicated firewall, or router which can handle a ton of torrents/etc., I'd suggest a DIY computer for this purpose, and adding an inexpensive GbE switch behind it.

Off the shelf, there are two devices that I'd consider first -- the Linksys RVS4000 and the D-Link DGL-4300/4100. The DGL-4300 is wireless capable, but it's sometimes as cheap as the 4100 and the wireless probably gets it more exposure and firmware updates, so it should be considered.

I have a DGL-4300, and like it. The only negative that comes to mind is the lack of jumbo frame support, but IMO jumbo frames are over-hyped and generally not worth the trouble, esp. with modern computers with decent on-board / PCIe GbE (which might not support jumbo frames themselves). I've benched very good GbE throughput using the DGL-4300's switch (~950 Mb/s), and others have measured good WAN performance approaching 100 Mb/s, which should in any case be more than enough for a 10 Mb/s internet connection.

If you want to spend even less, then it can be done -- an inexpensive router can be paired with an inexpensive GbE switch.

I would take a 10/100 router/firewall with a 10/100/1000 switch behind it. If you have an old computer you can turn it into a smoothwall and just get yourself a switch.

Back