• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

What kind of audio output does it have for 5.1 ? Optical I assume ? Also... Is it Dolby Digital ?

The other question, If i but a HD-DVD drive can I take it out of its enclosure and place it into the xbox 360 ?

Yup, optical out and Dolby Digital.

I'm not sure about the second question as I don't pay attention to the 360 modding scene, but I'm 99% sure the answer is no.

I pretty much doubt it. It'd be really really hard to do and it'd void your warranty, most likely.

My question is why they didn't just have it in a modular design so people could upgrade if they so chose?

they DO have a modular design, why do you think the harddrive snaps onto the 360. and yes, you CAN move the hdd inside the shell of the 360, it has been done, but its a super tight fit, kills your warrenty, requires some serious mod skills, and adds heat to the 360, something that system DOES NOT NEED. haha.

also, the optical out is on the high def cable itself right where it plugs into the 360. im not sure if the standard cables have an optical out or not.

*edit* im an idiot, i thought you were talkin bout the hard drive. duh. i need to drink less, and read more.

ok, now for the answer about the hd-dvd drive... TECHNICALLY i think its possible. but i think there is an issue with firmware and running games off the hd-dvd. sooo... yes, you could do it if you planned on not playing games ever again, and only watching hd-dvds. to make it do both you would need to write a custom firmware, or find one somewhere (none excist that i know of)

ok, quoted a guy off xbox scene that knows more than me, here is what he said:

Anthing is possible ... but

Most importantly - games don't work from the HD-DVD drive ...

If you're still insistent (and want to put the DVD drive external and the HD-DVD internal ) - it's also difficult because :-

1. HD-DVD Drive is physically bigger (longer & taller) than the DVD drive - therefore you wouldn't have room for the GPU heatsink shroud - or use the original DVD mount points, not to mention the GPU heatsink itself ..

2. You'd need to find a space for the drive electronics (they are external to the drive itself)

3. You'd need to find room for the PSU & USB board ...

So in summary - don't bother ! lol .. smile.gif

Back