• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fsb term...msc voltages etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

fsb term...mch voltages etc

If I have the Vcore set at 1.4 should the fsb term be higher? Also is it safe to go past 1.5 on the mch? Also how do I check the temp of NB? And SB? What are safe voltages for SB. Also is my RAM holding me back? I keep trying unsuccesfully, to get to 400 x 8 so I can have that lovely perfect 1:1 ratio but it never wants to be stable. The highest I tried on Vcore was 1.45. Only have air so I am worried to go much higher. Should I try it with mch set higher ? Should I raise fsb term? Raise SB? Please help...I am confused!!

Thanks -Jim

P.S. As I type this I have SP 2004 running 2 instances @ 345 x 9 with 1.325 Vcore ...2.0 Vdimm...tightened timings from 5-5-5-12 to 4-4-4-10...all other volts @ auto. disabled hyperpath, mem remap etc on RAM ...everything on cpu except microcode update. PCI-E at 100...freq @ 33...running stable with small fft's now for 15 min.

Thanks again CHEERS :beer:

Last edited:
Voltages on the nb and sb depend on what cooling you have on the hs's themselves. I wouldn't "max" out the nb if I didn't have a little chipset fan attached to it.
Personally, the only voltage I have set to "auto" is ICH.
What was your cpu temp at 1.45?
Raising the fsb voltage can stabilize the oc. I don't have the same board as you but mine is set manually, not maxed out though.
Alot of it is trial and error.

I have removed the NB cover and reseated the sink with AS5. I also glued a small 40mm fan to the side of it blowing toward the rear of the case. The SB I left stock.

I do not know the temps at 1.45v as windows never booted.

Did you try setting the voltages to a manual settings?
Are you running 4gig of Corsair?
Did you try taking 2 of the sticks out and then try to get a stable 400?

I did try manual settngs on the fsb term...mch and ich voltages. as follows:

fsb term=1.3
mch=1.55
ich=i forget...it was lowest possible manual setting.

Do you think I will get better results with only 2GB of RAM? I realize WinXP only sees a tad more than 3 GB, but never thought it would hurt the OC. btw...Is this good RAM for OCing?

I am not looking for a massive OC (at least not by the C2D standards I am seeing others run). 3.2ghz at 400 x 8 would be fine with me. I really want to use all the speed my RAM affords at the 1:1 ratio.

How do I check NB temps and what is a high temp that I want to avoid going over on that?

I don't have the "mch" on mine so I don't know what that would be.
My fsbterm is 1.45, I do believe.
ICH, auto.
SB,1.60
nb,1.55
2gigs, better than 4.
Did you run memtest with all 4 sticks in?

Is the multiplier on the 6600 9x?
If so, when you lower the multiplier to 8, you are essentially oc'ing the nb more than what you think. It would be 9/8xfsb= nb speed. http://www.bleedinedgesupport.com/ocz/forum/showthread.php?t=23803

With that cpu and mobo it's not necessary to have tight ram settings.
Is this your ram? http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/CM2X1024-6400PRO.pdf

This is my RAM...http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-6400.pdf I have 2 kits of this stuff. I will remove 2 sticks and see how that goes.

I always thought that mch referred to NB and ICH referred to SB voltages. If this is not the case than I do not have any volt settings for these two chips.

I don't know what fsb termination does but if it is anything like the name implies than I have sort of kinda an idea.

Last edited:
OK I removed 2 sticks of RAM. Currently running @ 345 x 9 and the system seems to actually be a bit more responsive than it was last night at this fsb. Super Pi didn't lose any performance.

No I never ran memtest with all 4 sticks of RAM, but I did run memtest on trhe sticks that I kept and all passed. I will try bumping up the fsb slowly and post results as soon as I am done.

OK I got it to run SP 2004 stable with small FFts for 20 min @ 356 x 9
Vcore I bumped one setting at a time...Had to go all the way to 1.365 before it wouls not crash running orthos

fsb term = 1.30
ich = 1.05
mch = 1.55
vdimm = 2.0
reset timings to factory specs 5-5-5-12-5
temp according to TAT 37 - 40 idle...48 - 47 load

gonna try for 366 x 9

Went for 367 x 9

It's amazing how much you have to up the Vcore to get that extra 11mhz out of the fsb. I can get 334 x 9 @ 1.30 Vcore...345 x 9 @ 1.31..after that it really needs a BIG boost for each 0.1ghz.

Anyway with all volts same I got it stable orthos for 30 minutes @ 367 x 9 and 1.4125 Vcore. TAT temp readings 52 - 55 load...39 - 36 idle

I will go for 378 x 9 now

Last edited:
It's amazing how much you have to up the Vcore to get that extra 11mhz out of the fsb. I can get 334 x 9 @ 1.30 Vcore...345 x 9 @ 1.31..after that it really needs a BIG boost for each 0.1ghz.

Thats is very true I ran into the same thing which was the reason I ended upgrading my cooling. I noticed that I needed to increase the voltages very high to get a marginal OC and then it just became too hot which would cause a lot of instablility especially with Orthos. :bang head

Shoot, I had to use 1.625 vcore(in the bios, probably 1.58 actual) to get to 3.6(450x8). It would be nice to reach 3.6 at under 1.5.

Well I think I found my sweet spot. 400 x 8 @ 1.375 Vcore (Bios)
MCH = 1.65 I had to raise this due to the link OnDBorder posted above. This is what was holding me back. Hopefully the modded NB HS with 40mm fan glued to it will keep it under dangerous temps. I still have no idea how to monitor the temp of the NB or what temp is the cut-off point.

Vdimm = 2.0 (4-4-4-10-4)
ICH = 1.02
FSB term = 1.3

Orthos ran error free for 3.5 hours, I will let it run overnight when I go to bed. Load temps never rose above 47 according to TAT. Idles at 37. I will now run memtest.

Thanks for all your help :beer:

EDIT Well the RAM passed memtest. Memtest gave me wrong info though. It had my fsb at 450mhz and the RAM at 450 for ddr 900. I checked BIOS again after running tests and found that it is at what I set it at. 400 x 8 FSB...1:1 RAM so it is 400 also ddr2 800. Well it passed. I will run orthos overnight as I said earlier, but I think I finally got my OC finalized.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to a commando from amd a week ago ,so am a c2d newb:). Have been pondering exact same questions as jimmsch re the various voltages.
Currently running at 356x9 (backed down from these shots taken on 1.3v(bios) vcore.can run this at 1.2875(bios) vcore.

Am able to monitor nbridge using a thermal sensor cable from an old fan controller. The sensor is tucked down the fins & read by the opt fan headers on the board. At stock the NB reads +3C to the mobo temp of 30C. I had expected to have to increase my nb volts to help stability but sofar it hasn't made any difference.

currently main issue is around my cpu temps, am trying to discover if tweaking things like chipset or fsb volts will allow a reduction of vcore & so cpu temp.

thanks for tthe insight.

Thanks to OnDborder for all tyhe help! CHEERS :beer: mate.

I ran SP 2004 by Johnny Lee for 9+ hours last night and it was totally stable at the OC in my sig and voltages posted above. Like I said memtest passed all tests so I can call it a day. The PC runs smooth and FAST! I can edit my homemade videos in about 1/25 the time my old machine took. Super PI calculates 1M iterations in just under 16 seconds. Once I get my Raptor installed I hope to see start up time cut considerably.

You guys are the best and most knowledgable OCers and I feel priveledged to be able to come here and get the help I need and to share my experiences with others that may be having the same NOOBish issues that I had.

Thanks to all :beer:

Sorry Shank...I liked your colors on sig and kinda stole them

Last edited:
Sorry Shank...I liked your colors on sig and kinda stole them
Hehe:) should maybe change the colours myself, chose them in imitation of my last board - DFI SLI DR.

currently main issue is around my cpu temps
is now sorted:-

B4
360x9@4-5_Orthos30min.PNG

With Thermalright ultra 120

After
360x9@4-5_Orthos_Zal.PNG

Zalman CNPS9500-AT bought today from Aria Sales Counter.

Now a 19C drop is pretty good, my temps are now back to what i've seen around.
Haven't got a clue what the issue has been with the Ulttra 120. Have remounted it numberous time checked everything with no improvement. Any1 ever rma'd a cooler:mrgreen: :lol:

The new temps are pretty much where my opteron 148 was.

Have also got rid of the "no cpu fan detected" nag all is well.
:woowoo:

So i now have more headroom to oc with & explore the above settings.

I also checked my voltages today using the Commando Voltage Measuring Points by Dani & Chri$ch@ XtremeSystems #1 & Commando Voltage Measuring Points by Dani & Chri$ch@ XtremeSystems #2

Luck

dual pumped .. cold-air fed

OnDborder said:
Shoot, I had to use 1.625 vcore(in the bios, probably 1.58 actual) to get to 3.6(450x8). It would be nice to reach 3.6 at under 1.5.

Hiya, just wanted to post some C2D goodness! vcore drops to 1.46 under Orthos. It mighty cold up here in Canada :) It's 48hr Ortho'd and rthdribl on top of, for the last 16hrs. I'd like to try the new 0910 Bios to see what it offers.
p.s. I know I gotta update my sig!
vpsporb-P5BD.E6400.OC.jpg

Back