• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless network problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

so my problem is similar to the post: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=497074

it is different, so i created a new thread.
I just got a new HP laptop cause my desktop died, and set it up in my house at school. i live on the second floor of the house.

heres the setup:
my desk is right next to my bedroom door. go out the door and down the hall into another room and the wireless router is in the far corner of the room. there is one other room on this floor with a computer connected wirelessly (no problems). two downstairs with no problems.

so, heres my problem:

The internet is constantly connected, but every few minutes my internet cuts out, renews the IP, and then works fine. (rather slow at first). anyway, its annoying when using the computer, but i also have an xbox 360 hardwired to the router and when using media center on that it gets disconnected after 5 minutes.

according to wireless network status its been connected 13 hours and sent and received a million+ packets.

anyway, its real annoying. any ideas as to whats going on? like i said, the computer is less than a month old, using firefox. its slow to boot and wont shut down proerly, but thats another issue.

any suggestions? no other computers in the house have problems.

Hard to say for sure, but there could be things like electrical wires, metal ducting for heating/air conditioning. Kind of hard to say for sure, but it's possible there is something there causing interference. But by bringing your laptop next to the router (or at least in the same location as another computer that gets excellent signal) you can determine if it is in fact bad signal or if it's a problem with your hardware or drivers or something.

Once you rule out interfernece try to uninstall/reinstall the drivers for the card. Also try to use it wired and see if that helps.

Back