• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC CPU and RAM impact

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoss

Registered
So, I have an AMD XP 2500-M and am currently running it at 196x11.5. I have been reading about the wire trick on the socket to get the multipliers above 13 but am concerned about the ram. If I lower the FSB when using a higher multiplier, such as 170x14 will this lower my RAM performance? I have a ASUS A7N8X bored and it has an option in the BIOS to run the ram at 100,125,150,175, and 200% of the FSB which will bump it up if I drop the FSB. Would this be a work around?

you will suffer a performance hit.

most of those mobiles will run the 200FSB, so try 12x200, up the voltage to the CPU a bit and run your ram @(omitted, cause you failed to list your components)

it would be nice if you listed your components, it goes a long way in helping.

Laterz,

baldy

I updated my sig with my current system. I put this together over a year ago so the parts are a bit old. My Power supply burnt out about 2 months ago and I was hurting bad for a replacement and needless to say all I could get my hands on was a 450w generic from a local vendor.

Anyways, I was messing around with the bios last night and I noticed that my mobo offers these higher timings without the wire/socket trick. I was unable to get it to run with a multiplier above 12 regardless of the FSB. I dont know why. I tried 200x12.5, 200x12 and nether one ran stable. I had to settle with 200x11.5 ~2.3ghz and loosened my timings to 2-3-3-3. I might try to tighten them a bit tonight, but right now it is stable. I was really hoping to push it a bit further. I have the cpu at 1.7v right now and dont know how far I can raise it safely. I also dont know what the max temp for the cpu is either. At idle it is around 47c, and under stress around 54c. Is that too hot?

you will only be able to use up to the 12x, anything higher, even if showing in the bios will not work, at least without the wire trick.

forget the wire trick, work on getting 12x200 stable, a higher mulitplier and lower FSB will not improve performance.

also, the clockage you are going for might require more than stock cooling, i have no idea what you are running for cooling, it can make a difference....

BTW, 12 and 12.5 are the same with the higher x's locked, so is 13 and so on, it just defaults to the highest programmed x in the CPU, in this case 12x.

Kapeeeeeeeesh?

Laterz,

baldy

What about the temps and voltage? What are the max safe levels for this CPU? I dont remember the name of my heat sink for my CPU, I will have to look at it when I get home. So, your saying 2.4 is about the limit with this with air cooling?

Back