• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URENT! Help! Disaster With 1st Pc Build!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teknodred

Registered
Hey there guys,
I know this is gonna be real hard to help me with,
But i have just built my 1st custom built Pc from scratch and i went to plug the PSU in al fine, lil blue LED came on on my mobo, But i press the power button...Nothing :(
I even tried the actual power switch on the Mobo itself which is used for testing and i get is a beep :(

Can anyone suggest anything plz?

Heres my parts:

Duo Core E6600
Evga Mobo 680i
Nivdia 8800GTX
2 x 512 DDR (533) Ye i knopw sucks
1 x 250 GB
1 x 500 BG

I have one HD going through the thicker cable (IDE?) and one going through Sata, would that be a prob? i cant see why not as i old pc was like that,

Plz Help!!
Cheers

check all the connections from the power switch to the motherboard. Something is not connected right.

yeah it's probably something connection-wise. Also i wouldve gone with a 6400 and better RAM but its too late now. Oh and make sure that you set the drive with windows on it as the boot source in the BIOS once you get everything up and running

Hmm well i hav most of the fan 4 pin connections into one goin into the power supply,
Will that be something?
Is there only a certain amount i can plug into those 4 pin connections??

On the case at the mo :(
I hope this is the case of just a simple cable :(

Just noticed a lil yellow light also goes on nct to the blue light,
theres a J next to it,
Anyone know what that means??

ummmm is that actually ddr ram and not ddr2.... Take your mobo out of your case and put it on a table with some static bags. Have ram and vid card in and then plug in psu. Then try and power it on. (this is to eliminate shorts by the way) No hdds yet. See if that works. Check ram. Do you have diagnostic lights. My board tells me when the cpu is ok when the ram is ok when the vid card is ok and when the board is booting all from 4 little leds. They can be very useful.

By the way do any of the fans come on when you press the power button?

Make sure all the mobo power connections are connected properly. Seriously though take the board out of the case if you have it in one. This was happening to a board i was building for my brother and got a few beeps. After getting further along all the while having to reset it at least 8 times in the end, all of a sudden the southbridge went up in sparks and smoke.

Huh 533Mhz is not DDR2 Ram?
Doh i got robbed back then when i bought it!! lol
Okies i have stepped up a notce :)
I noticed i didnt need BOTH of the power cable from the PSU to the mobo i plugged in the big 20 pin one AND the 24 pin one be4 and thats what gave i problem..
But now when i boot up,
It checks RAM Fine, CPU fine,
But cant detect any of i drives,
It says IDE Channel O Master None
IDE Channel 1 Slave None
Sata Channel 1 None (All way through to 6)
Then says,
Floppy Drive Error (Have no floppy installed)
Then CMOS Checksum Error - Deafualt loaded

It says F1 continue or Del to enter set up but i want info first hehe..

Oh and got a Zalman Heatsink 600w Modular power supply..

Thx again!!

1. Read the manual to every part you put into the computer.

2. Go into bios and look for the section where it gives you the temps. make sure they are OK before you install the OS.

Then only hook up the one harddrive you are going to install the OS on. After you install the OS then you can install the other harddrive.

Hey there guys,
my mobo manual is crap,
It doesnt make sense, Ive located the jumper switch on my mobo its got 3 pins and its on 2+3,
To do a reset do i need to take it out and turn the Pc on or what??

I have managed to get rid of the Cmos Error at the bottom of the screen,
I think im stuck with a powr issue here because,
My case comes with 4 fans and they are all connected via 4 pins, none of them are spinning also, My dvd drive also does not open up..
But my GPU Fan is spinning so thats saying something is up with those 4 pin connectors right?
Can anyone gimme a guidline on how to hook dem up?
Also my Zalman CPU cooler isnt working? will that magically start goin when the 4 pin connector things are working or is the Mobo not getting full power yet?

Im on an Evga 680i

Cheers!!

Dont say that heh :(
Just been fiddling with it most of the day and finnally got it booting..

There any other way of hecking i Mobo?? Just got her today :(

I have a Zalman Heatsink Cooled 600w Modular,

Hope ye can help!

Thx again

At the mo just gettin the IDE/Sata Drive error,
Can access Bios fine but thats about all i can do :)
Also complain about a floppy drive at the bottom of the list of IDE drives but i hav no floppy connected ??

Since you can access the bios go to the page with the temps and voltages from the PSU. That will tell you if you have a power problem. Also please post picture of how you have those fans hooked because you can not describe it in an understandable form with words.

And read the manuals again until you understand it. a dictionary might help with that part. I do not know what you are confused about in the manual so we can not help with that.

There might be a floppy seek option in the bios that needs to be turned off.

Damn if your hsf is not working then stop right there. Where do you have it plugged in?

Hey there,
Hmm oops lol,
Well i manaaged to narrow it down a bit, i tested just a few of the fans by connected just one or 2 into the 4 pin connecters at they worked fine, I used the same connecter (which i used for the fans and put in the Dvd drive)..
The Dvd still does nothing, Now im wondering, a few options..
1: The DvD drive was from an older CPU which "Blew up" sorta, but im sure its still in perfect workin order,
Also a put in a brand new HD in there and its also not getting recognised..
So this could only be put left to the IDE cable and Sata connections right??
Gettin bit scared tho since the CPU Zalman cooler is NOT spinning :(

Hmm cant to a pic as of yet, the PC im sucks :( Maybe in couple days, but i want this machine to work now! lol

Hope that helped bit more..

NO that does not help us help you at all. You are not doing what is asked and you are not answering questions that are asked. You are also making assumptions without the knowledge to make correct assumptions.

Please reread this entire thread and do and answer all suggestions/questions. when asked what psu give the model name and manufaturer name.

When you go into bios what are the temp and voltage readings?

Back