• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there something i can do about files that will not defrag?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I got about 6 files or so that will not defrag... Is there something I can do about it?

--pak

Are you refering to system files?

I didn't know you were able to move them :shrug:

What are the files? As previously stated, a good offline boot-time defrag program can defrag all files during a boot. As long as it's mostly defrag'd, I'm not even sure I'd bother with doing an offline frag. I couldn't imagine the performance gain would be that much.

Try freeing up more space on your HDD. I've found that when I have files that won't defrag, they are huge files ( .VOBs mostly from DVD authoring ) and if I only had an 80gig ( ew....Dell ) with most of it full, it couldn't defrag them. When I cleared up some space, the problem went away. Plus its always nice to have lots of room.

Contig is pretty good at defragging these kinds of files. Or O&O defrag can usually do it.

There are about 15 single big files that won't defrag. They are from games I have installed. I'll try freeing up some space. If that doesn't work, I'll look into some programs.

Thanks

--pak

There is practically no gain from making extremely large files contiguous. It is highly unlikely that the system will request an entire 2 GiB file to be paged into memory at once and even if it is, small read and write requests are issued all the time by the system, seeking a couple of times will not noticably impact performance. Filesystem fragmentation isn't something to worry about unless it is particularly severe.

Back