• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Privacy Eraser Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

Hey guys a buddy of mine downloaded 1000's of songs on limewire and i told him that limewire was illegal and he said it wasnt i gave him a link explaining. I wanted to buy privacy Eraser pro. On the program it has a DOD overwrite with Zeros however it sia dit gets rid of data and deletes them forever. Does it wipe the hard drive clean where he has nothing on it?

Thanks guys in advice and sorry if i didn't follow the rules.

Limewire and other P2P programs themselves are not illegal. However the acts conducted using said P2P programs is often of the illegal nature.

Most of Eraser like programs typicaly write 0s over the entire harddrive several times, even where there is no data. They also remove the formatting so you will need to reformat the drive before you use it again. Personally I just throw an old Systems works disc into a drive and have it do a government level wipe (they claim that writting 0s and 1s over your harddrive 99 times is what the government does, I don't know how much truth is behind that though).

where can i get this disk im willing to pay for it on the cite and thanks. than we dont want to wipe the hard drive than lol. what if the overwrite was 3 times. would that over write the format?

One time will write over the formatting.
There are free options. Get a hold of the Ultimate Boot Disc off the net. There are a few programs on there that should do the trick.
What I use is a Norton Systems Works disc.
If your doing this just because of limewire you don't need to go through the hassle. Just delete limewire and what ever you acquired illegally. Its really not worth the trouble.

Are you talking about for the future he wants to download 5 songs a month? Despite the fact that would be illegal he would probably be safe from any legal back lash. I say probably. It would be best to never pirate music again.

If you mean that in the past he only downloaded 5 songs a month then he has been using livewire since before it was made according to your earlier 1000 song estimate. Again you shouldn't worry about your door getting kicked in the FBI slapping some steel bracelets on you. It most likely won't happen.

If some acronym (FBI, RIAA, MPAA) is after you I would highly advise against severely altering your hard drive or computer. The court could deem it "tampering with evidence" or the equivalent legal jargon.

If some acronym (FBI, RIAA, MPAA) is after you I would highly advise against severely altering your hard drive or computer. The court could deem it "tampering with evidence" or the equivalent legal jargon.
This is likely. If your friend hasn't actually been contacted by any of those orgs he's probably in the clear but if he keeps downloading (especially with Limewire) it's only a matter of time until he gets nabbed for it. There are safer download options available, including buying songs from itunes, and he should probably look into that.

That said, an excellent and free way to overwrite his drive would be to grab a DBAN disc or floppy. It works extraordinarily well and can overwrite to DOD+ standards.

If his IP has been picked up already overwriting the drive won't help him much since it's not necessarily the physical data that they're looking for but that he downloaded the files.

the main reason why he gets the song off limewire because it free but there are website where you can download songs and its like 1.50 for 12 songs. is that illegal?

Look over at snapfiles.com/freeware and you'll find several programs that supposedly wipe a drive according to DoD specifications. I'll tell you one thing though, some computers that the DoD donates/sells to schools and places don't come with a hard drive at all. Hard drives that store sensitive information are destroyed.

Keep in mind that it takes a lot of time and effort to dissect a hard drive; the NSA or FBI would much rather use that time and effort looking at a suspected terrorists hard drive, than some little kids who downloaded the latest eminem album.

In other words, don't be so worried about it. That is, unless you have several terrabytes of illegal material that you upload to other limewire users every month, as these are the people the RIAA want to nail more. Why would the RIAA waste time and effort busting someone who pirated two albums when they could bust someone who pirated half a terrabyte!

It's all about time and effort and were it's best spent.

EDIT: And yes, there are much better and safer places to get music from; Limewire is not one I would recommend. You will have to search for better places yourself if you choose to pursue copyright infringement.

very true i told my buddy that the RIAA or FBI arnt wasting time on peoples hard becuase they would have to do it to everyones PC. I researched it likely hard for them to bust people using limewire. they want to bust the people who upload stuff on there. for example the Police want to bust the drug dealers not the users. They want to find where the problem started but limewire isnt always targeted god know there are millions of torrent programs and if they sued limewire they would be something new coming out. I dont think there investigating peoples PC or sueing peopple who use limewire because one thing, that would cost the government lots of money and useless time. the main thing the government wants to investigate is credit card theft or any money related theft. ive read this in 4 different articles. Is this true?

Thanks,
Weezlexx89

While in the military I was a network/systems administrator equivalent on classified networks, going all the way to top secret/SCI classifications. We used 7-pass wipe with BCWipe. It's a command-line utility, but the III Corps G6 set the IT standard for the rest of the US Army, so I'd say it's pretty good :]

cool i did a DoD format and i still have my things. weird huh? you would think it would delete the partition.

Back