• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somebody please Help me and ill forever be in your debt! Before i go any further

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I Have another pc i might have to get it to boot. Whats an IMC? Please dont tell me it could be the CPU (I dont have a spare).. Im testing the second ram stick now and so far. no fail. Maybe if i had of left it longer in the 1 slot it didnt fail in it would of? But the times it failed it did fail fairly quickly. Or erros i mean

Imc is the "integrated memory controller" on the CPU, its not common to fail, but it just seems random that the mem is not failing in all slots and, if you have another stick of ddr3, (any ddr3 will do) then run that on memtest to see if a separate brand/set is throwing up errors also, these are the things you need a bunch of spare hardware for :-/

Imc is the "integrated memory controller" on the CPU, its not common to fail, but it just seems random that the mem is not failing in all slots and, if you have another stick of ddr3, (any ddr3 will do) then run that on memtest to see if a separate brand/set is throwing up errors also, these are the things you need a bunch of spare hardware for :-/

I had 2x8gb Crucial ballistix.. Im testing the second stick now and Im on the 3rd slot no fails. So must of been the first stick..

If you took out one stick of RAM and it still had issues, but then swapped it with the other stick of RAM and it isn't erroring, that pretty much narrows it down to the RAM itself.

Did you ever set the timings, voltage, and speed of the memory manually in the BIOS to make sure you are running them at the correct settings?

If you took out one stick of RAM and it still had issues, but then swapped it with the other stick of RAM and it isn't erroring, that pretty much narrows it down to the RAM itself.

Did you ever set the timings, voltage, and speed of the memory manually in the BIOS to make sure you are running them at the correct settings?

Yea pretty sure. I can only see that its running correct frequency I went to advanced settings but didnt see voltage etc. I think it was correct though.

Thinking it is correct and knowing by manually setting are two completely different things.

Thinking it is correct and knowing by manually setting are two completely different things.

Haha I agree with that. I am pretty sure when the guy did install then mobo I seen the settings matched the ram specs can you tell me how to double check in asus eufi bios ? Thanks

Haha I agree with that. I am pretty sure when the guy did install then mobo I seen the settings matched the ram specs can you tell me how to double check in asus eufi bios ? Thanks
I don't know your specific motherboard, but there is usually a section for memory settings. Check your motherboard if you are not sure.

I don't know your specific motherboard, but there is usually a section for memory settings. Check your motherboard if you are not sure.

Yup! Now the questions is what RAM to buy. There is no 16GB set up in the verified list in the manual which i find strange. Max is 8, 2x4. But board allows up to 32 as usual. I need a minimum of 16gb, I know someone recommended a G.SKILL ram. Which I am looking into. . Im looking for suggestions to compatible good performance ram.

I have not read the second part of this thread but original poster is all over the place with multiple part replacements, many different things going on, without clear answers to basic original questions, which were:

Originally, you had a system on which you ran memtest inside Windows which crashed your Windows installation. At that point original poster was asked to run memtest from a boot USB or a boot CD and post whether memtest failed. Also, OP was asked to confirm that there was no modifications done in BIOS as far as overclocking was concerned of either RAM or anything else. A follow up would have been to test sticks individually, of course. What makes you think RAM is faulty if it wasn't tested outside Windows?

If these answers were provided, then I'm sorry I missed them but if they were not - OP moved on to multiple other things based on assumptions that the system had problems OP read about other people having, rather than taking an organized approach to see if we can pinpoint if there was a specific hardware problem on OP's system (not someone else's) that was causing the original problem or if it was Windows itself which caused the original crash, in other words, if this was a software problem.

I have not read the second part of this thread but original poster is all over the place with multiple part replacements, many different things going on, without clear answers to basic original questions, which were:

Originally, you had a system on which you ran memtest inside Windows which crashed your Windows installation. At that point original poster was asked to run memtest from a boot USB or a boot CD and post whether memtest failed. Also, OP was asked to confirm that there was no modifications done in BIOS as far as overclocking was concerned of either RAM or anything else. A follow up would have been to test sticks individually, of course. What makes you think RAM is faulty if it wasn't tested outside Windows?

If these answers were provided, then I'm sorry I missed them but if they were not - OP moved on to multiple other things based on assumptions that the system had problems OP read about other people having, rather than taking an organized approach to see if we can pinpoint if there was a specific hardware problem on OP's system (not someone else's) that was causing the original problem or if it was Windows itself which caused the original crash, in other words, if this was a software problem.

I done extensive memtest booted from USB on both sticks of ram individually in every DIMM SLOT. 1 stick had many errors found in each slot except 1 slot. The other stick had no errors found in any slot. Since ive been using the 1 stick and no problems.

The old mobo was definitely doing exactly what others said they were doing. And that was tested with different ram. A friends RAM and it didnt change problem. So the it seems I had 1 bad RAM stick and also a bad motherboard. Would you agree? Also No BIOS modifications at all.

thanks.

Would you agree?
I would update motherboard BIOS to latest version. Then redo memtest which would confirm that one stick of RAM is defective.

Not sure how else to test a motherboard other than maybe testing on fresh installation of Windows installed under the one good stick of RAM.

I would update motherboard BIOS to latest version. Then redo memtest which would confirm that one stick of RAM is defective.

Not sure how else to test a motherboard other than maybe testing on fresh installation of Windows installed under the one good stick of RAM.

I wanted to update bIOS as i thought it would only be a good thing to do. But so many people have advised against it. I dont know why?

They probably said no due to performance issues, overclocking issues possibly but you can always go back to old version of BIOS, the reason for updating in your case would be stability, possibly stability with specific brands of RAM, one of the most common reasons for BIOS updates.

I would be concerned about Windows installed on a bad stick of RAM. I would experiment with fully updated BIOS, then retest the bad stick of RAM to make sure it's bad, then install fresh windows on the good stick of RAM, and I would disconnect all cards, peripherals, everything but necessary stuff to install fresh Windows and made sure cables are OK.

The one stick of RAM should pass memtest in SLOT#1 before reinstalling Windows.

They probably said no due to performance issues, overclocking issues possibly but you can always go back to old version of BIOS, the reason for updating in your case would be stability, possibly stability with specific brands of RAM, one of the most common reasons for BIOS updates.

I would be concerned about Windows installed on a bad stick of RAM. I would experiment with fully updated BIOS, then retest the bad stick of RAM to make sure it's bad, then install fresh windows on the good stick of RAM, and I would disconnect all cards, peripherals, everything but necessary stuff to install fresh Windows and made sure cables are OK.

The one stick of RAM should pass memtest in SLOT#1 before reinstalling Windows.

Yea this is good advice I will try it. So I will look into updating the bios. This is totally separate from windows? Is there anything I need to know before updating bios. And even with no windows I can boot memtest from the USB , ok sounds good ..

There are several ways to update BIOS, you should look in to that but absolutely make sure you do *not* run Memtest from within Windows.

Update BIOS, reboot, test only one stick of ram in RAM slot #1, the bad one, to confirm it is bad after updating BIOS,
Then test the good one to conform it is good.
Then install Windows with only one good stick of RAM in plus only the essentials like CPU and video card and keyboard and mouse, no extra hard drives, or any extra cards or peripherals.

Make sure cables are OK and connected properly.

There are several ways to update BIOS, you should look in to that but absolutely make sure you do *not* run Memtest from within Windows.

Update BIOS, reboot, test only one stick of ram in RAM slot #1, the bad one, to confirm it is bad after updating BIOS,
Then install Windows with only one good stick of RAM in plus only the essentials like CPU and video card and keyboard and mouse, no extra hard drives, or any extra cards or peripherals.

Well i have ordered new RAM So would it not be better to keep windows off till that comes then run memtest on both new sticks. and then install with both new sticks inserted? (If there good of course) But i still wanna do this test now out of curiosity. Im just scared to update the BIOS haha.

Im guessing the usb flash bios update is the recommended way to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with installing Windows on one stick of RAM, you simply insert different RAM later. If any sticks are bad, and you install Windows using a bad stick then that might be bad.

With only the good stick of RAM inserted into Slot 1, make sure you download the BIOS for your revision and model of motherboard. Rev 1.0 or rev 1.1 or whatever yours is, it should say somewhere in the corner of your motherboard what the revision is.

Extract new BIOS file to your C: Drive then when booting,
Press the <End> key to access the Q-Flash utility which can be used to access and load the BIOS update file you extracted to your C: Drive and thus update BIOS version.

You can ask anything you want in your thread and somebody will answer.

There is nothing wrong with installing Windows on one stick of RAM, you simply insert different RAM later. If any sticks are bad, and you install Windows using a bad stick then that might be bad.

With only the good stick of RAM inserted into Slot 1, make sure you download the BIOS for your revision and model of motherboard. Rev 1.0 or rev 1.1 or whatever yours is, it should say somewhere in the corner of your motherboard what the revision is.

Extract new BIOS file to your C: Drive then when booting,
Press the <End> key to access the Q-Flash utility which can be used to access and load the BIOS update file you extracted to your C: Drive and thus update BIOS version.

You can ask anything you want in your thread and somebody will answer.

Ok cheers! BIOS updated. now time to get back to good old memtest! it says windows failed to start, do windows repair is this normal after bios update?

When you go to the asus download section for the BIOS there is all this other stuff. are they all included when doing the BIOS update.?

Bios Updated. > I ran memtest on good stick as it was already in. Passed 1 and half passes 0 errors. Replaced with suspect stick. By 44% it found over 198000 errors.

Is this now enough be 100% this ram stick is bad.

Thanks for all your help guys! You overclockers are cool people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Asus? I thought you have a gigabyte board.

RMA the bad stick. Only use the good stick to install Windows on an empty hard drive partition from the beginning. Any previous installation made under bad stick is no good. Format that.

Back