• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to change audio contrast.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Katulobotomia

Hi, I just bought a DVD box of the Star Wreck: return of the pirkinning and the audio in it seems to be movie theather-like.

I mean, the low parts of the audio, like talking and stuff, are almost silent forcing me to turn up the volume. And then when something like a gunshot or music starts to play, basicly anything that is actually ment to be loud, is VERY LOUD in the movie audio, this makes watching the movie very painful, turn the volume to normal and talking is whispering and action is LOUD END-OF-THE-WORLD like. Then when I turn the sound so that the action parts sound normal the normal chatter etc are dead-silent.

So. How can I change the contrast between these two so that they both are audible and between reasonable limits. Do I need a program or does some player feature this "increase volume when silent" feature?

Thanks in advance.

You bought the DVD of that? I'm jealous. I thought about buying a copy but they were releasing it free online so I just made a DVD with the torrent. Really well-done film considering what they had to work with and being free and all.

Certain programs can do volume normalization, like VLC and Media Player Classic (download the full version of the K-Lite Codec Pack and when you're installing it you can select volume normalization as an option), which will make all sounds relatively constant.

However, what kind of soundcard are you using and are you using a 5.1, 2.1 etc speaker setup? Since it's a DVD they may have encoded the audio to AC3 so that it is outputting 5.1 (which can sometimes be problematic with certain speaker setups). Setting your speakers to 2.1 or disabling the AC3 audio or playing it with VLC and setting stereo sound under the audio tab should straighten things out. I've had some problems with 5.1 and dvds in the past, especially with MPC, but going into the AC3 filter tab after right-clicking on the video window and selecting 2.1 output rather than AC3 tends to fix things.

grumperfish said:
You bought the DVD of that? I'm jealous. I thought about buying a copy but they were releasing it free online so I just made a DVD with the torrent. Really well-done film considering what they had to work with and being free and all.

Certain programs can do volume normalization, like VLC and Media Player Classic (download the full version of the K-Lite Codec Pack and when you're installing it you can select volume normalization as an option), which will make all sounds relatively constant.

However, what kind of soundcard are you using and are you using a 5.1, 2.1 etc speaker setup? Since it's a DVD they may have encoded the audio to AC3 so that it is outputting 5.1 (which can sometimes be problematic with certain speaker setups). Setting your speakers to 2.1 or disabling the AC3 audio or playing it with VLC and setting stereo sound under the audio tab should straighten things out. I've had some problems with 5.1 and dvds in the past, especially with MPC, but going into the AC3 filter tab after right-clicking on the video window and selecting 2.1 output rather than AC3 tends to fix things.
It is an 5.1 system but it is setup as 2.1 since all the other speakers are broken today :D but I hae changed all the settings to 2.1 so it shouldnt be sending all 5.1 channels, Il try and search the VLC menus for the normalization, can you give me exact destinatino since the VLC seems a bit confusing for me.

Thanks for the respons!

EDIT: The normalization doesnt seem to do anything on VLC :(

Back