• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard sound causing game stutter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grayg

So all my problems are thanks to Realtek HD audio. My games stutter with the driver installed and without any driver installed are fine.

I have used the drivers that come on the CD with the motherboard and have tried the latest ones from Realtek and same results.

Anyone else had problems like this? Perhaps someone with a Realtek HD audio codec on their motherboard can just test it out for a minute or two?

I would go buy a sound card but all you ever hear about them is problems too :bang head

What games does it stutter with? I know that BF2 would always give me problems with hardware audio on or high quality, and I'm sure its not limited to just that game. Try disabling an EAX or other effects it has going, and turn off any control panels it comes with and any other software that outputs sound on a normal basis, or just disable their sounds.

In other advice, a sound card is definitely worthy of investment, and I've rarely had a problem due to mine ( Audigy 2 something or other ).

Has this always been this way? I run on board sound on my gamer and it works fine.

Did it start when you installed a program or some hardware?

Well only had my computer for 1 week really and it does it sometimes e.g. I can load up windows and play a game and get no stutter then later when I go on it again it will stutter in all games.

It is definatley the Realtek HD audio. When it was stutering in games I went and uninstalled the driver and then the stutter was gone.

I think I've got this same problem, also with Realtek HD audio.
did you find a solution?

I, too, have had this problem. It has to do with the realtek drivers and windows xp auto installing a driver on top of it. It causes stutter in any 3-d games (diablo II is immune to it, lol). It is a constant jutter/stutter that will make it seem like your computer displays one frame, misses 10, and keeps repeating that patter.

I had found a fix which required you to delete a bunch of stuff from registry and turn off windows from auto installing anything. Even then, I found it safer to just leave my pc on!

The key to finding the fix was to mess around with the system enough to get a "cmicnfg.cpl" not found error.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread25517.html

Google searching "delete all keys related to cmedia" or the like will get you other results if that does not fix it.

In short, buy a sound card!

Back