• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

What program should I use to test the stablity of my system after overclocking?
Does the one program test CPU, GPU and RAM or are there different programs for different bits of hardware?

grs said:
What program should I use to test the stablity of my system after overclocking?
Does the one program test CPU, GPU and RAM or are there different programs for different bits of hardware?

I suggest Orthos for RAM / CPU testing. There is an option for Blend both CPU and RAM or you can select ffts for CPU stress specifically. Prime95 is another program, but you have to manually open multiple instances to max each core. With Orthos, it will detect and run two threads itself.

Memtest86 is the best for testing RAM by itself.

GPU is entirely different. Most run apps like 3dMark06 and depending on vid card manufacturer, there are some limited apps to test for artifacting.

Thanks guys. Have you got links for those programs? It' will be a while before I can actually do some overclocking. I'll post a querry about the GPU when I get my new rig.

for 3DMark/Games, you want to keep an eye out for artifacts or "whitesnow" scattered about your screen. its a visual anomoly that can be caused by overclocking.

Last edited:
ATITool has a video stress, and it works with nvidia too.

You can also run 3dMark2001 in a loop (only 3dMark free version that does it AFAIK). I loop The Lobby high detail test personally.

If I do see artifacts or "whitesnow" does that mean the graphics card is physically damaged or do just reset the GPU setting to a safer setting?

It means you've either clocked the core or memory too high, or they're overheating.

To fix this, you need to either back down the clocks, improve cooling, or increase volts through a volt mod.

Orthos and PCMark05. Actually PCMark05 and then orthos once you think you have your overclock dialed in. PCMark is great for quick results. OH, memtest of coarse. I memtest first thing before I even bother loading up windows. If I can't pass a few runs on test 5 of memtest then no need to even load up windows. So, Memtest(test 5), PCmark05, then Orthos.

Am I right in thinking Memtest runs from a bootable CD rather than been loaded onto the PC as an application?

Back