• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing e6600 setup needs RAM for $200-250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

Howdy Fellas,
I'm prepping for a march madness upgrade. So far it looks like the e6600 is the chip for me along with the P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP. I'm onto the memory research phase and am looking for suggestions on some nice OCing RAM for around 200 to 250. I see that the buffalo firestix (FSX800D2C-K2G) are down to $190 now which is interesting. Also a lot of folks recommend the G.Skill (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ) which is pushing the budget at $250. I like to push the hardware limit but not go into the poor house for a few extra fsb. Any suggestions or things I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks much,
Froz

I just ordered the parts for my new rig based on a P5W DH and E6600, and went through the same decision. Based on my readings here and other forums, the Buffalo Firestix are a steal for D9 chips right now; unfortunately, NewEgg doesn't have them in stock and I needed to get my stuff this week, so I went with the G.Skill HZ for quite a bit more. Was also interested in the Team Group stuff, but wanted to get everything from NewEgg.

I think these D9 chips are all pretty similar in overclocking prowess, so going with the Buffalo should provide the best value.

Froz said:
those look sexy but the timings are a little loose? with them being 1100, if you running slower do they tighten up?
I just got that ram today, haven't had the chance to do anything with it yet. Its going to take me some time to get adjusted to the P5B Deluxe...

Hopefully I'll have some early results tomorrow afternoon.

I just installed mine so at 1.9v 4-4-4-12 at DDR2 900.Havent pushed them any higher yet. 300x8 no voltage increases on cpu or anything else.But i still have a lot to figure out since im a total noob to core 2 duo and ddr2..lol

gigabit said:
I just installed mine so at 1.9v 4-4-4-12 at DDR2 900.Havent pushed them any higher yet. 300x8 no voltage increases on cpu or anything else.But i still have a lot to figure out since im a total noob to core 2 duo and ddr2..lol

L00ks like a nice new rig that you've put together.

I'm want to join you guys and have me some c2d fun, but I'm going to hold off until at least April, since work has me too busy to even bother until then.

Good luck to all and your new toys.

Airbornederekc said:
does anyone know what chip the ocz 1066 SLI edition memory is. because that is cheaper than the 1100 stuff is.
all of oczs ddr2 1000 up is d9gmh/gkx.both the 1066 and 1100 are awesome deals right now.<---only thing better price wise is the afore mentioned firestix.

Back