• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello, New around here, just had some ??'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

projectrps13

Registered
My name is Shawn, been reading on these forums for a couple of days now, thought I'd join up. I just built a new computer, see sig, I think I did pretty good (comments/suggestions welcome). I've been out of computers for a while until my P4 machine crapped out on me. I'm interested in overclocking my e6400, what can I get away with on the stock HSF? I do plan on upgrading the HSF eventually, open to suggestions??

Edit: Guess my sig doesnt work yet.

CPU - e6400 retail pkg HSF, not OC'd
MB - Abit AW9D-MAX
RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR2-800
CASE - Gigabyte Triton Mid Tower
GPU - BFG 7900 GTX OC 512MB
HD - WD 250GB 300MB/s SATA
DVDR - Samsung 18X DL DVD+-R
OS - WinXP sp2
PSU - Antec Smartpower 500W

you should be able to get 2.8ghz on the stock cooler. maybe even 3ghz. with an upgraded cooler, it would be between 3.2-3.5ghz i would think.

welcome to the forums. :)

i just built a machine real close to that. Check out my sig for specs. I am getting 3.0 on stock voltage, and low heat. About 50C FULL LOAD. Good luck. Just be careful with the oc. I did about 200mhz at a time, full stress test then bump it up.

Shawn,

:welcome: to the forums!

Your sig didn't show up, you might make sure you have it saved, and that it's set to show up in your posts.

I think with an E6400 and stock cooler, you could expect maybe as high as 3Ghz. You most likely won't have to up your voltage, so that will help with temps. But basically, watch your temps. I'd keep them below 60c.

Thanks for the welcomes and the info. I havent overclocked anything since my AMD burned up and my P4 ran so hot I was afraid to overclock it. I'm gonna play around with my OC settings on my c2d. Anyone use the automatic shutdown in bios to protect the cpu from damage? If so, what temp do you set it to?

Intel specs the max temps to be 61.4c. If it was me, I'd set the shutdown temp at 60c...but I'm usually one to be on the safe side. I have heard of people saying as high as 65c was OK....but I wouldn't personally ever go over 60c.

afaik, intel specs them up to about 75c or more. i am one of the ones that feels comfortable with 65c+. have you seen what a stock qx6700 with the stock cooler runs at? :eek:

Well I can't seem to find anything about Intel thermals besides that processor Spec Finder dealie on their site.

And as far as I can tell that 61.4c number is the measurement from between the 2 cores. So I don't know what the actually core max temp would be.

And the QX6700 shows a "case" temp of like 64c ...so they give it a little higher rating. And yeah, I saw Dominick's Quad...and it was pretty hot under air. :)

Regarding the speedstep technology, it looks like it kicks in rather quickly. On my machine it drops the clock multiplier to 6x from 8x. My question is, when will the multiplier return to 8x? Is it when you run a cpu intensive program? Do most people just turn this feature off?

projectrps13 said:
Regarding the speedstep technology, it looks like it kicks in rather quickly. On my machine it drops the clock multiplier to 6x from 8x. My question is, when will the multiplier return to 8x? Is it when you run a cpu intensive program? Do most people just turn this feature off?

Yeah, the multi will kick back up as soon as the CPU picks up from idle. I would say that if you are in the process of overclocking, disable it. As it could hinder your ability to see if the system is stable at that speed. But if you have already established your OC and you are just using your system as normal, there's really no reason I can think of to turn it off. When you need the CPU it'll kick up to full speed.

yep the tuniq tower is one of the best. a cheaper alternative is the Scythe Ninja. that's what i'm using.

I did take a look at the ninja as well, but I think it's too tall. I think I am already pushing my luck with the tuniq as far as height clearance in my midtower case.

projectrps13 said:
I did take a look at the ninja as well, but I think it's too tall. I think I am already pushing my luck with the tuniq as far as height clearance in my midtower case.

Actually the Tuniq is 3mm taller than the Ninja

But either way....it should fit in your case....even if just barely. My Tuniq fits in my Coolermaster Eilte case. There is a vent right above the CPU, so I can see how close it gets to the door....it's almost touching :) But it fits!

Thanks jivetrky, good to know.. I dont think 3mm is going to matter. How's the build quality on both? I really dont feel comfortable lapping anything, so I want to get something I can just slap in without mods.

The tuniq will work just fine without any lapping...it'll just work better if you lap it.

I'd say the build quality on the Tuniq is quite good, it's a nice HS!

Problem with my setup, CPU-Z and Windows XP both show the cpu at 1600MHz. I turned off speedstep and thermal management. The bios shows an 8x multiplier but CPU-Z shows only a 6x multiplier. Bios is updated to latest version. Any ideas?

Edit:
I figured out I am unable to disable speedstep, no matter what I use for the setting it is enabled. Is this something with the allendale cpu's?? It does go to the regular cpu rating when I run Orthos.

Last edited:
projectrps13 said:
Problem with my setup, CPU-Z and Windows XP both show the cpu at 1600MHz. I turned off speedstep and thermal management. The bios shows an 8x multiplier but CPU-Z shows only a 6x multiplier. Bios is updated to latest version. Any ideas?

Edit:
I figured out I am unable to disable speedstep, no matter what I use for the setting it is enabled. Is this something with the allendale cpu's?? It does go to the regular cpu rating when I run Orthos.

You probably also have an option in the same area for C1E .....turn it off. :)

Here's a picture for ya:

Set that to DISABLE...then you'll be fine :)

Last edited:
Back