• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuild time, could use some help here. -This is for a gaming rig-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vash1025

First off i'm trying to decide between an e8400 and and e8500, and I will be OCing it. The difference in prices is a flat 20 bucks. Also I'm in the market for all my other parts so if anyone has any suggestions i'm looking to stay in the 800-1000 price range.

Btw I've been an AMD junkie for years and every rig i've built was an AMD, but i've been hearing their losing their performance edge by a HUGE margin now, before their was only a itty bitty difference between the same equiv AMD vs Intel, with AMD winning on account of price, Though hearing that now adays the performance drop off is so huge that the lower price isn't worth it anymore.

I've heard that these two can be clocked to 4.7 on air cooling, but i'm thinking the 8500 might make it there easier since it's clock is higher to begin with. I'm looking to try and push it to 4.7 if at all possible. So i'll prolly be asking for help with that later from anyone willing to. As for the rest of my rig.

It's gonna be hard with my 1000 dollar budget to get everything I need. I will have to make due with parts I have in some cases. For example I'll have to try and use my current full-tower and clean it out and slap some new case fans on. I already had a 500W antec PSU that I recently purchased. Gonna have to keep my current soundcard or use onboard sound if the mobo has it.

The mem i'm looking for is the next step up memory from DDR2 800, I think its DDR2 10xx something, my MB will be a 1333 FSB and im looking to get one with a lot of upgrade head AND OC headroom. Meaning SLI Supported, Quad Core supported, and able to support my memory.

Looking for about 4gbs to max out gaming and OC performances. My FX card I was looking at a GX280, but if I can't budget that in i'd have to look for a cheaper solution. I have a 22 inch monitor, I heard when figuring out if you want to SLI or not that monitor size has something to do with it. I just want a machine that won't need upgraded for another 3-4 years or so.

i've heard if you have a good combo of OC'ed RAM, mixed with an OC'ed Processor (around 4.7 sounded good to me), and a GTX280 or Dual SLI combo from a set of 9800 GT/xcards that you can push crysis pretty high and have decent frames. I'm using Crysis as a comparison here because it's a very hungry game so pretty good to use as a gauge on how powerful your gaming rig is.

-- Now for the interesting read. Let's get down to the current system I have right now. Get ready to question why I have not thought about upgrading until now.. Here it goes!

My current PC:

AMD XP 2800+ Barton Processor (Yes, folks, A SINGLE CORE 2.0ghz PROCESSOR)
ABit NF7-S Rev 2.0 Motherboard 400MHZ FSB
XP Professional SP2
2 GB Corsair DDR400 RAM (Yes that is DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3)
Radeon X1650 Pro, 512MB DDR2
500 Watt Antec Basiq
SoundBlaster Live (Sufficiant since I use a headset and not a surround sound system)

I would go with the following items myself...

ASUS P5Q-E... P45 Chipset, great clocker, good price $150
E8500 ... $200
OCZ Flex XLC PC9600 DDR2 1200mhz... price $90 for 2gigs
HIS/Sapphire 4870/4870x2... price 300-500
Zalman/Thermaltake 850w Powersupply... price 160-200
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme... best air cooler to date price $60

If your a hardcore nvidia fan, then I'd recommend a 790i mobo, but ATi is already putting a smack down on nvidia this round. While AMD is lacking in CPU performance, the AMD/ATi division is doing well. You can also look at crossfiring two 4850s which would run you about $300.

Welcome to OCF, and hopefully I can get links to all these parts... I always use newegg and have for about 9-10 years.

:welcome: to the forums!

^ I agree with all but the alternate Mobo. I think if you're going to spend for higher end, go with the 780i FTW, it's supposed to be a great board and I've been seeing people have problems with the 790i. That is if you need to go with an Nvidia chipset, otherwise as Prime said, the P45 is a superb choice. Heck, my P35 board even rocks pretty hard ;)

On a side note, to help keep cost down, a single 8800GTS 512(G92 core) is still more than adequate and is coming down in price.(I'd post up some pricing and links but it's late)

Good luck with your build :beer:

P.S. Don't get your hopes up on that 4.7Ghz OC for 24/7 use. Most I've seen is about 4.3Ghz - 4.5Ghz safely on water. But hey, maybe you'll be the first ;)

Hey thanks for the quick and detailed replies and warm welcome. :) You said under load 4.3-4.5 is obtainable with water, what about with the air sink posted, what could I push it to? How well you think all that will perform on Crysis?

Also, do you think I can use my current hard drive or will I need a new one? I am using a slightly older Sata drive so i'm not sure if it'll work or not, but don't see why not. Trying to save money with not having to get yet another new HDD at this time.

I also so this card on sale, what do you guys think about this card in comparison to the other ones you listed?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121257

270.00 after the sale and Mail in rebate

Only problem with going this route is the 780i boards run quite a bit higher in money than the crossfire board you posted above. :(

Last edited:
i got the system in my sig shipped for 850$ total minus the steering wheel, OS, and monitor. I haven't done any oc'ing yet since i just got the system... I can run Crysis okay at 1280x1024 @ high settings.

Back