• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello! I'm new here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

me2hat_head

Registered
Hello everybody!
Over the past few weeks I have been sifting through websites (mainly this forum) getting advice on my soon to be gaming rig. I currently use my laptop for gaming due to its phenomenal specs, but unfortunately it gets rather hot running crysis on gamer settings. Thats where the desktop build comes in. After a week of searching, this is what I have come up with:

GPU - Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Supports crossover, push for two?) £80
CASE+PSU - Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black w/PSU from newegg £50
MEMORY - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 1600 DDR3 £62
CPU - Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition £92.50
MOBO - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard £73
MAIN HDD - 150GB VelociRaptor 10,000rpm for OS £50
DATA HDD's - 2x WD Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (RAID0) £62
DVDR/CDR - ASUS Black 24x DVd+R/8x DVD+RW etc. £11

£480/$770 from newegg.com w/out peripherals.

What do you think guys?
Lovely Forum by the way :)

Liam

Okay here we go.
For the graphics card get something in the 6xxx series, this is kinda like the new 57xx series.

Don't get a case psu combo. The psu is a vital piece in a computer, u dont wanna skimp out on it. Get like a corsair 450/500 watt.

The blacks in raid0 probably out perform a raptor, so ditch the raptor and with the money u save from that get a like a 64gb ssd.

What are the timings on that ram. They look like their 9's. Try to get some...well first of all u don't need 8gigs of ram for this computer considering it's gonna cost 700 bucks, and be used primarily for gaming.
Check this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1351&cm_re=4gb_g_skill-_-20-231-351-_-Product

Thanks for the reply. I thought about ssd but wasn't sure how big it should be (i dual boot 7 and ubuntustudio). With the ram i just thought more was better lol
Thanks a lot for the advice! :)

I would get a HD 6950 video card or a GTX 560Ti. Maybe even get a little newer MB like one with a 890FX chipset. EDIT: Oh and :welcome:

Welcome to the forums! :)

Hello everybody!
Over the past few weeks I have been sifting through websites (mainly this forum) getting advice on my soon to be gaming rig. I currently use my laptop for gaming due to its phenomenal specs, but unfortunately it gets rather hot running crysis on gamer settings. Thats where the desktop build comes in. After a week of searching, this is what I have come up with:

GPU - Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Supports crossover, push for two?) £80

As suggested, I'd look at a 68xx series card or a GeForce 560 Ti, if you can afford it.

CASE+PSU - Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black w/PSU from newegg £50

The PSU in that will probably be ... questionable. I'd look for a good branded 600W+. Corsair, Antec, Fortron, etc.

MEMORY - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 1600 DDR3 £62
CPU - Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition £92.50
MOBO - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard £73

That board is a generation behind (790-series chipset) so I'd look for something based on the 890-series. I think Asus do an M4A89-range of boards as well (my brother has an M4A88-series board).

MAIN HDD - 150GB VelociRaptor 10,000rpm for OS £50
DATA HDD's - 2x WD Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (RAID0) £62

Raptors are not worth it any more, a small SSD costs only a little more. Using RAID0 for a data drive is risky if you have any important data on it - it doubles your risk of failure.

I'd look at a 64 GB or 128 GB SSD and a single 1 TB black. You can always add more HDDs later (I find myself adding HDDs at the rate of one a year, lately).

Also: if you're in the UK I'd check prices against Scan.co.uk and Ebuyer.com, as that's where I tend to get most of my stuff. Scan often have some decent deals of the day.

Right, based on all of your advice I've had a rethink. 64gb ssd for the OS. Keep the two blacks as raid0 (all my important stuff is on a 1tb external anyway). Same CPU, only 4gb RAM rather than 8. A corsair tx750 psu. An asus 880g motherboard and I have just been offered a 6870 radeon for just over £100 off a friend. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129092 <-- This case is just epic!
Haven't proced it up yet but I have 750 to spend so I should be fine.

650TX would be my pick, gives you a little more headroom. Also, Corsair's TX series is better then their VX.

Back