• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on a gaming build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingsmen

Hello,
I currently game on my laptop (i7 4700mq, gtx 765m, 8gb ram) and would like to build a desktop primarily for gaming (I also do a tad of video editing and music production.)
I am new to building computers but would like to make it a hobby.
I am looking to be building it this November and would like your advice on components. My budget is ~£1100 but my build is turning out to be more like £1300. I don’t want to sacrifice performance but if there are any ways to make this build cheaper that would be good!
So far I’m thinking:
Intel i7 4790k 4.0ghz - or maybe an AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core FX-9370 Black Edition 4.40GHz (4.70GHz Turbo) which is about half the price
Gigabyte G1 windforce 3x OC gtx 970 4GB
16GB RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury be alright?)
MSI Z97 gaming 5 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 -- overkill?
PSU – no clue (750w or higher/lower?)
1TB HDD – plan to add more later
60GB SSD – for windows 8.1
24x DVDr/w drive
NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis

Cooling:
Should I water cool cpu or just use heatsink?
ten 120mm fans
Monitor:
Some 23 inch IPS around £100
I think that’s it.

Help is much appreciated thanks!
kingsmen

Forget about AMD for gaming : it's a power house, will heat your room even in the cold winter nights and is far behind Intel (a 4690K somes it gaming wise actually)

I'd go GSKill Trident X: they OC like mad (used to run my 2*8GB 1866/Cl8v@2133/Cl8).

Avoid MSI boards, Asrock z97 Extreme 6 would be my choice.

Get a 120GB SSD at the very least. I'd get a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB.

PSU: I have a couple of Corsair CX600M and am very happy with : they can run a couple of 970's in SLI if needed. If you want a little more power, grab an eVGA 750W supernova.

Go with a top end air cooler instead of AIO watercooling solution : more reliable, same cooling capability.

Pretty much rounded up I think.

There is no reason to avoid MSI on intel... None.

Supernova G2. ;)

Also, the dual rad AIO's perform better than the best air cooler, but I agree with the rest... :)

^Man, did you ninja edit your post ? ;)

Well, thing is MSI sucks that much with AMD boards that they don't deserve to be looked at, even for Intel!:D

Yes, the Swiftech is a nice AIO, I have to agree...

^NIce one, but I beat you to it, lol!

Kingsmen does also video and music editing: 16GB of RAM and an i7 would do him some good ;)

^NIce one, but I beat you to it, lol!

Kingsmen does also video and music editing: 16GB of RAM and an i7 would do him some good ;)

That gets him a full list with links to retailers ;)

The extra RAM and i7 are an easy swap, was sticking to the 1100GBP original budget :)

Cheers guys - your help means a lot to me and thanks for the swiftness of response!
I think a larger SSD is a good shout and I'm glad to give water cooling a miss :)
The Asrock z97 Extreme 6 seems a little costly but then again I don't want to compromise performance - any cheaper alternatives?
Also the gigabyte 970 appears to be one of the more expensive variants - is it worth the extra cash?
cheers
kingsmen

^Man, did you ninja edit your post ? ;)

Well, thing is MSI sucks that much with AMD boards that they don't deserve to be looked at, even for Intel!:D

Yes, the Swiftech is a nice AIO, I have to agree...
Ha! no... I didn't edit.

MSI does not suck on intel, LOL

There are more than just the swity dual rad AIOs that perform better than the best air (most do).

Ha! no... I didn't edit.

MSI does not suck on intel, LOL

There are more than just the swity dual rad AIOs that perform better than the best air (most do).

Mmm... Mods have full power... :p

Sure they do, but for 3/4°C, the hassle is not worth it.

ACtually, even custom loops are, as with a cpu like the 4690k/4790k, you'll be more likely vCore than temp limited.

Correct me if I am wrong of course ;)

Mmm... Mods have full power... :p

Sure they do, but for 3/4°C, the hassle is not worth it.

ACtually, even custom loops are, as with a cpu like the 4690k/4790k, you'll be more likely vCore than temp limited.

Correct me if I am wrong of course ;)
no seriously.. I didn't edit anything! :)

As far as hassle, I can see that as you have to mount the radiator with 8 screws and the block. Outside of that AIO's are maintenance free.

As far as vcore limited before temps... that depends on the silicon lottery really, but in most cases, I would imagine not. Look at all the complaints about temps...and people delidding. So the lower they are the more headroom you have to play with. Typically, AIO's can be quieter than high end air with dual fans because they do not have to run as fast (more cooling area in a rad).

^Well, that's just me, maybe... You know, starting watercooling using aquarium pumps and motorbike rads...

These little AIO make me want to cry!
:beer:

Okay here's a thought:
What if I continue to use my Laptop for video and music stuff and get an i5 4690k instead?
Would it be sufficient?
cheers
Kingsmen

The i5 would be faster than your laptop, especially if you overclock the i5 :)

Also, what about these mobos:
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Asus B85-PRO GAMER Socket 1150 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
ASRock Z97 PRO4 Socket 1150 Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-D3H Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Asus Z97-K, Intel Z97, Socket 1150, ATX Motherboard

These are more my price range :)
cheers
kingsmen

The i5 would be faster than your laptop, especially if you overclock the i5 :)
It would hold its own in games alright?

Also, what about these mobos:
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Asus B85-PRO GAMER Socket 1150 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
ASRock Z97 PRO4 Socket 1150 Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-D3H Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Asus Z97-K, Intel Z97, Socket 1150, ATX Motherboard

These are more my price range :)
cheers
kingsmen

The build I posted is 20GBP under your budget, using the Extreme6... not sure what you're trying to achieve by going to a lower board.

The boards you're listing here use lower audio chipsets, and some don't have nearly as good of a power delivery section either.

It would hold its own in games alright?

Yes.

The build I posted is 20GBP under your budget, using the Extreme6... not sure what you're trying to achieve by going to a lower board.

The boards you're listing here use lower audio chipsets, and some don't have nearly as good of a power delivery section either.

I read through the thread and I agree with ATM. His build is good.

I assume you want to go SLI in the future hence the 750W PSU? Otherwise, go to 550W if you know you are only rocking a single GPU. Seeing the 1080p resolution, I wouldn't use two cards anyway. That should save a couple of pennies.

The CX750 will be fine, but, I personally would spend the extra coin and see if you can find the EVGA Supernova G2 instead. Its only 81 vs your 68...

Otherwise, looks great to me!

Back