• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Angled barbs on rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamcaster

Registered
Just wondering if angled 1/2 barbs on a thermochill pa rad would greatly afect the flow?

The reason i ask is i may have to use them on my top mounted rad in lian li case.

If you mean like 45 degree angled, it will make very little difference. If you mean 90 angled, it will make a difference, but it probably won't make enough to notice as long as your pump has decent head pressure.

all these people who cry about 90degree fittings have no idea what they're talking about, or they just need to get better pumps.

guess what:
in my system i currently have a total of (8) 90degree 1/2"ID fittings. everyone was flipping out saying OMFGZORS TAKE THOSE OUT ITS KILLING YORU TEMPZZZ!!!!

yeah so i tried it - removed all my 90's except 1 (needed it for the top video card, had no other option...

AND THE TEMPS STAYED EXACTLY THE SAME. go figure. i liked having the 90's because it made everything 1) look cooler and 2) made it easier to access all my components.

seriously guys. don't worry about 90degree fittings. maybe if you have like 30 of them sure you're gonna notice some flow problems, but if you have a few, or even several, it's not going to make any difference.

Theorie said:
all these people who cry about 90degree fittings have no idea what they're talking about, or they just need to get better pumps.

guess what:
in my system i currently have a total of (8) 90degree 1/2"ID fittings. everyone was flipping out saying OMFGZORS TAKE THOSE OUT ITS KILLING YORU TEMPZZZ!!!!

yeah so i tried it - removed all my 90's except 1 (needed it for the top video card, had no other option...

AND THE TEMPS STAYED EXACTLY THE SAME. go figure. i liked having the 90's because it made everything 1) look cooler and 2) made it easier to access all my components.

seriously guys. don't worry about 90degree fittings. maybe if you have like 30 of them sure you're gonna notice some flow problems, but if you have a few, or even several, it's not going to make any difference.

First off, he didn't specify what kind of angle he is talking about.

Secondly, the fact that your onboard temp sensor didn't measure any difference does not mean that there is not any difference. Onboard temp sensors aren't exactly the most sensitive things.

Thirdly, you are right in that a few 90 degree elbows, except at the pump inlet, aren't going to make a measurable difference.

Fourth, read http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=37&pg=1 to see what difference different kinds of fittings make.

If you are using 90 degree fittings, the best thing to use are copper long sweep elbows as there isn't much difference between them and regular tubing but they still make a nice tight bend.

BTW Theorie, you link to your rig for sale is against the OCForums guidelines: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58341

Last edited:
Back