• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 Office PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

golfking222

I'm looking to build a new PC for around $1000. It won't be used for gaming, mainly office type applications. I don't think it's necessary to go to Vista, but you guys can give me some advice on that. I think it would be better to stick to XP Professional 32-bit, but it kind of sux because I would need to buy a new CD although OEM is fine.

So to summarize it, here's what my aunt wants

- A Fast Computer
- Around $1000 - Not Including Monitor or Peripherals
- Windows XP Professional 32-Bit - Fine with OEM

So could you guys help locate some parts for me. I've built my own gaming rig, so I'll be able to put it together and such.

Here's what I've come up with so far,

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz - $221

- ASUS P5B Deluxe - $176.99

- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $164.99

- MSI NX6200LE-TD64E GeForce 6200 LE 256MB - $30.99

- SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB - $150

- Rosewill R6426-P BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $15.99

- XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply - $51.99

- 2x - ASUS Black 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe - $58 for 2

- ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - $44.99

This all adds up to $914.94. I know it seems kind of stupid because the video card is so bad, but they're not going to game. Can you guys comment on this setup and recommend any changes please. This leaves enough money for an operating system (meh) and peripherals (mid-range keyboard, mouse, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Cuz I'm hott like that :p. I was just too lazy to find a ROM, I'm probably gonna buy like you said, but it's like 10:45 and I don't exactly feel like searching for computer parts.

Any other suggestions?

Do you really need a 500GB hard drive? You can get a WD 250GB with 16mb cache for $70 on Newegg. Otherwise it looks good.

Uh, I dunno. Like two of my aunts use that computer and they're both like insurance agents. So like they use this program which stores a load of data and stuff about their clients. You're probably right though. I'll see what she wants, but the 250GB is probably good enough. So the processor and such looks good for doing office type things? She wants it to be like seriously fast like top of the line. So hopefully there'll be like no loading times and such except for windows boot up. No waiting for startup programs hopefully (I'll disable all that anyway), but when she starts a program it'll be like bam right there right?

Can somebody help find me a cheap Windows Professional 32-Bit CD or DVD. I was thinking of getting by another means, but I think I'll just do it the official way if you know what I mean ;P. I mean the way I may have done it would leave me with a completely authentic CD-Key aswell, although it would have been retrieved somewhat illegally lol, so I think I'll just stay away from that and buy a cheap copy if somebody and lead me to one. I'm fine with OEM as long as it's new and XP Pro 32-Bit (and authentic of course).

I don't think they will be needing that Asus P5B-D either. They definitely wont be overclocking so it's pretty much a waste of the board. You could probably save a few bucks and get a cheaper motherboard. Instead of a single 500GB what about two 250s or 300s under Intel MATRIX RAID.

I usually get my copys of Windows via my dads work. He is in the Army and we can purchase Windows for a discounted price. Last time I checked you could get Windows XP Pro 32-bit for like $149 at newegg.

Damn that's still kind of expensive IMO for software. What mobo would you recommend? They're probably not going to be overclocking, but I probably will ;). About the RAID, what pros would it have? I have absolutely no experience with RAID at all so what difference would it make?

For a Windows OS I think that's a great price! The full retail version at stores still what, 3 bills? Intel MATRIX raid is a really neat concept. To my understanding, tt allows for RAID 0 and 1 at the same time. You can format one partition of the drive for RAID 0 (opterating system and programs) then the other partition for RAID 1. (all files)

Well, I saw an OEM Version from somewhere else for like $80 + Shipping which brought it up to like $90. I still don't understand the Intel MATRIX RAID thing so I think I'll do a little reading up on that and see what I can find.

This is kind of newbish, but what exactly does RAID do? Like what's the difference of having one 500GB compared to having two 250GB in RAID?

I've been reading up on RAID in general, it just seems really confusing. How would you set up your two hard drives to run RAID and how would you set with RAID thing to use, like RAID-0 or RAID-1 or whatever. The thing I read said RAID-0 has like no fault protection or whatever, so for my Aunt it seems RAID-1 would be the way to go, but I have no idea how this stuff works so I seriously need some help lol.

If this is an office PC only, then I'd consider a Dell Optiplex. It's in the price range, has plenty of options available, and comes with support. You're not just going to be building this for them...you're also going to be supporting it until it dies, so keep that in mind.

For OC on a budget, i like your setup alot... Since it's for your aunt though.. i think the P5B might be a little over the top... unless shes overclocking :p, this is what i would do:

- Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 - $183.00

- Intel DP965LTCK - $129.00
Perfect for what your aunt is doing, plus intels warranty is advanced replacement... saving you some hassle here if something goes wrong inside of 3 years.

- Super Talent DDR2-667 1 Gb - $78.99 each x 2 = $ 158.00
intel boards other than the Badaxe/Badaxe2 have probs with memory that isn't JEDEC 1.8v. I don't think your aunt would really see a difference.

- eVGA 7300GT - $69.99
The MSI you had listed was a 64mb card. The turbo cache cards are a little misleading.. especially at newegg. the card itself had 64mb on board, and will grab up to 256mb for 3d apps and such. I popped this on as to not short change your aunt on higher res stuff later.

- SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB - $150

- Antec SLK3000B case w/ No power supply- $49.00
This case is really well built, it's far more solid than the rosewill.

- Antec TruePower Trio 430 - $ 69.99
i thought 650w was over the top for even the CPU you had listed. Even a decent 350w would be enough to power it.

- 2x - ASUS Black 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe - $58 for 2

- ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - $44.99

Total: $ 911.97

Hope this helps you out :)

~ Gos

Jon said:
If this is an office PC only, then I'd consider a Dell Optiplex. It's in the price range, has plenty of options available, and comes with support. You're not just going to be building this for them...you're also going to be supporting it until it dies, so keep that in mind.

I don't mind going over every once in a while if there's a problem (it's only like 20 minutes away and I go there a lot anyway for holidays and such.

@Goshawk - I like what you're saying, but about the memory, are you saying that if I used the mobo u listed I wouldn't be able to use that RAM? I think I may be doing some experimenting and OC'ing (heheh). Could you find some DDR-2 800 sticks, that that mobo would accept (or the P5B would accept). Also does the P5B and the mobo you listed have Intel MATRIX RAID? Because I'm definately thinking of doing that.

I think I'll change to the e6300, mobo I'm not sure, want DDR-2 800 RAM that'll work, and I'll just add the 7300 on. I'm not sure about the Case yet, but the PSU I listed was only 500w not 650w like you said. I think I'll keep the PSU I listed cuz it's a little bit cheaper.

So to summarize, I think I'll go with Intel Matrix RAID, e6300, not sure about mobo, want DDR-2 800 RAM, 7300GT, 2 250GB WD HDD, not sure about case, think I'll stick with XCLIO 500w PSU, and use the burner and ROM I listed b4.

What you guys think about that? And recommendations on either the P5B or the Intel mobo, along with RAM.

I think the Asus board is better than any Intel board that others recommend. I've had a Asus board that i used in a first gen p4 chip that is still running well as of this moment, which is about 6-7 years.

I think I'll go with the P5B just for assurance. Also, I think I'll change that Zalman to a Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Heatsink w/ a 4LED Blue 120x25mm, 3pin, 69CFM Fan. Also I'm going to consult with my Aunt and see if she wants a nice case w/ a window along with some lights, heheh. I can't resist. I know the reason to build a computer isn't just to make it look cool, but if you don't pimp it I see no reason to custom build lol.

Also, can somebody follow up on that JEDEC1.8v RAM comment. Not sure what was meant by that. If I keep the P5B will the RAM I chose be good?

i support the Dell option for anything business related.

like he said, you'll be supporting this for the life of it. if something goes wrong they'll go to you because you had the wherewithall to build it for them.

suggest to them that since it's for their business they purchase it from dell with a warranty. you can still get an amazing deal and everything should work real smoothly together.

just my $0.02

Back