• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0 / vista / HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogeretla

Registered
So, recently i bought 2 400gb seagate drives. i wanted to run them in Raid 0, as I have a raptor 150gb as my OS drive. Anyway, i have setup the raid on teh board jus fine. I have a abit AW9-pro. It pops up with the (ctrl-J) thing and lets me modify the raid jus fine. What i can't do is format or partion the drives in vista. I have tryed and tryed and tryed. It jus sits there forever and i eventlually restart and try somthing else. I even let it sit overnight, and it showed it was healthy in the disk management. But when i tryed to access it, it ask me if i wanted to format cause it was unusable. I have tryed using a couple other 3rd party programs to format and partion them as well with the same results.

This morning i DL a low level format tool, it is running right now. I guess i will see how that goes.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on though???

ps. Seagates drive tool doesn't work in vista...

Your Windows OS should show only one drive in something like Partition Magic once you boot up. If you still see 2 drives, your OS RAID software is not installed or working yet. Had this problem this weekend.

IF you need to format the drives in vista, use the repair option from the disk. I could not get vista to format my drives and install from the install screen.
Boot up from the vista disk and when it gets to the install now screen, click the links below that say repair ect. Then click next, not load drivers, if your disks are detected hit cancel or whatever you need to do to get to the selection screen with like 5 or 6 options, one is memory tests, the bottom one is command prompt. Select command prompt, you can run chkdsk from there, but need to type in diskpart to be able to select disks to format, type help in diskpart from there you should be ok.

You haven't mentioned installing the RAID controller drivers within Vista, have you done so? They would be here, based on which controller(JMicron, Silicon Image or Intel). Damn that's a lot of controllers.

ogeretla said:
So, recently i bought 2 400gb seagate drives. i wanted to run them in Raid 0, as I have a raptor 150gb as my OS drive. Anyway, i have setup the raid on teh board jus fine. I have a abit AW9-pro. It pops up with the (ctrl-J) thing and lets me modify the raid jus fine. What i can't do is format or partion the drives in vista.

If I understand your question correctly... you have set up and installed Vista on your RAPTOR and are wanting to make use of the two 400Gb drives as storage, etc. but have been unable to format them from in Windows (Vista)

If I have summarised your question correctly, my first comment is that I don't understand why you would want to run the two 400's as a Raid0 array. Personally, I would recommend just using them both as single drives for storage, as there is no redundancy in Raid0. Raid1 if you are really concerned, but as I say... I would just use them singley

That aside... Have you tried using the Disk Management tool? I am making a leap of faith here in assuming Vista still has it, but in XP... you used to right click My Computer>Storage>Disk Management(local).

Back