• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noticeable gains?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seer33

I currently have the system in my sig, and thanks to my new found newsgroup addiction I'm in need of more hdd space (I'm thinking like 1TB) Anyways, I'm considering getting a larger case, as I've pretty much ran out of space in my 65b.

Upon thinking about it, I'm wondering would I see any noticeable gains upgrading to a c2d at this point in time, or would I be better off just holding out until next gen vid cards, and see whats next in the world of cpus. Yes I have been out of the loop for a while, just wondering what peoples thoughts would be.

Well, all your benchmarks would be higher with a c2d, however games would run pretty much the same as far as you can see.

Encoding and stuff would be faster as well.. To me the c2d really doesnt give me much more than I have. Sure i could boast with super benches, but frankly in games there is no real difference in 100 fps vs 140 fps. At least not to me.

And for the encoding part, I dont mind waiting the little bit longer.

If you got the money to burn and want to get those high benches then get a c2d, otherwise your system is fine for anything out atm, would just need to upgrade to a DX10 card sometime down the road, however that time is fairly far.

CGR said:
Well, all your benchmarks would be higher with a c2d, however games would run pretty much the same as far as you can see.

Encoding and stuff would be faster as well.. To me the c2d really doesnt give me much more than I have. Sure i could boast with super benches, but frankly in games there is no real difference in 100 fps vs 140 fps. At least not to me.

And for the encoding part, I dont mind waiting the little bit longer.

If you got the money to burn and want to get those high benches then get a c2d, otherwise your system is fine for anything out atm, would just need to upgrade to a DX10 card sometime down the road, however that time is fairly far.

speaking of encoding... I got a friend that upgraded to a core 2 extreme (quad core) from a c2d... transcoding dvd's went from 45 minutes... to just under ten

Yea it will be much faster on a c2d system, I just dont mind waiting the few times i do any kind of encoding. Not worth it to me to pay hundreads of $$$ just to encode faster, render faster or get few more FPS when it doesnt matter int he first place..

Just my opinion :)

Back