• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ark325

Registered
Having problems cooling a custom computer case. The case is only 18x13x2.3 inches. I have a e6600 and a 8800GTX in it that wont stay cool with the 50mm fans. The 8800GTX overheats and shutsdown the computer so I am open to new suggestions. One of the ways I am thinking of taking care of the problem could be water cooling. I already found waterblocks and a pump that would fit inside the case but I dont know about a radiator or if it would be possible to keep the water cool enough. I currently use custom made heatsinks on both but require larger fan just to keep the CPU below 70c. The video card needs a whole new design. Wish I had pictures to show but the airlines lost my computer for a few days and I ended up moving on without it. Will get it in about a week which gives me some time to think how to fix the problem. The watercooling would have to be completely internal because I move around too much. Hoping for some good suggestions.

50mm fans? those are really small and probably don't push a lot of air. i'm pretty sure this entire problem could be solved by just buying a new case or adding some 120mm fans.

yea, i don't think you can fit a w/c system inside of there. it would be a stretch even if you had the radiator outside of the case.

i suggest some blow holes and some bigger fans.

Thanks for the input. I looked into some 60mm fans and the airflow is almost double of the 50mm. The reasons for such a small case is that I need it to be portable. The keyboard is built into the case and the monitor is hinged onto the back so it looks like a very large laptop. Thanks for the help, will look into a better heatsink for the gpu then.

Flying with a watercooled system is iffy anyway. Putting it in your car to move a couple times a year or to go to the occasional LAN is one thing, but the cargo hold of an airplane sees extreme changes in temperature and pressure. And considering some of the things I've seen watching baggage handlers out the window, I'd definitely stick with air cooling for air travel. Also, what might a professionally paranoid airport security guard make of a watercooled computer?

Back