• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little folding question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemon

Hey guys I have a really nice rig that I've got for gaming (see sig below). I would have no problems running it at night or when i'm not home and I was wondering if i could fold with it like every night and during the day when i'm not home? I want to do something for the folding team but unfortunately this is the best I can do (i'm a poor college student :bang head ). I might have one other machine that I could run 24 hours but not sure my parents would like the power i'm taking up running 2 computers almost all the time. Anyone know about how much it effects a power bill for running 2 computers almost 24 hours a day?

It's about the same as having a few light bulbs on. Considering you have a PCP&C KW PSU in that rig, I'd say the efficiency is excellent. I doubt your parents would notice anything (especially with summer coming up and the bill's going to go way up anyway).

We'd love to have you on the team...the cause and T32 can use all it can get! :welcome:

Yeah I also have an older P4 machine that was my gaming machine before this... i think i'm going to put it back together and find a spot for it in my room and just leave it on. Now I just need to figure out how to get this folding thing started, i'll read up on installing the software and what not.

Oh i was just reading it is also possible to run it in a VMware session with linux? That would be awesome for me, I could pretty much fold 24/7 on my gaming rig then because it's no problem running wow and a VMware session at the same time. Now is it easy to start and stop folding? Cause if I go to play a computer intensive game like fear or something i'd want to turn it off... I guess if it was a VMware session i could just turn the Virtual machine off so that'd be easy enough.

You can run it in a VMWare session, but the console runs perfectly fine in the background and wouldn't use as many resources.

If you don't install the console client as a service, starting and stopping the client is pretty much as simple as doing a CTRL+C to stop and a double-click to start.

Ok that's much easier. If I install it as a service is it as simple as starting and stopping that service? I think i'd rather have it running as an automatic service when I start up, and then I can stop it when I need to otherwise i'll forget to turn it on sometimes.

It will shut down so much when you do other stuff you won't notice. It will be Low Prioity. I found my Virus protection causes more slowdowns then the client. Leave it run at first and only shut it down if you notice it.

Sounds good, i'm excited!! It's cool to be a part of something like this, even if it's a little part. I'm waiting on some ram for my machine and then i'll get it all up and running.

If I have two machines folding, does it count both of those machines in your score?

Back