• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W-DH. Need HELP!!!! Bios flash failed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hugonow

Registered
I try to update my bios to the newest 1901 with the windows asus update utility.
It's not the first time I use it so I do it with no second thoughts.

After he check the bios version and matched the correct version, I click flash, he delete the rom and failed!!
I redownload the file, and now it fails when opening the asus update utility.
It says "unable to detect asus bios".
I cannot reboot, because I'm afraid that the pc wont boot.
I am running windows xp 64 right now.

Is any switch that I can force in command prompt to the utility ignore the actual bios version?
I try to run Afudos in a command prompt, but the xp64 wont let me run 16bit applications..

Anyone with ideas??
Thanks

maybe you need to update your asus update utility not sure but that happen to me and the update worked great btw did you rename it p5wdhd on your desk top

Last edited:
this has such a episode.
It was the first thing I did. when upgrading asus utility detected a previous version and uninstalled. After that and when starting the setup with the new version, if fails with the same error (did not detect asus bios).

I read the manual and this board has a feature called crash recovery.
The only thing you need is one good bios with the name P5WDH.ROM and saved in a usb pen drive or fdd.

I trust that, and guess what... my mobo is dead.!!! :cry:

Well, lucky me that one friend of mine has a programmer and I will take the eprom to be flashed.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

if you have a friend with the same mobo you can flash it on his computer

If worst comes to worst and by no choice of your own you and cant boot...

If it's anything like the P5B you may get a chance at the emergency recovery feature?

What happened for like 5 posts on mine after a bad checksum on boot is it tried to enter the flash utility on bootup. You would need a copy of the bios (named P5B.ROM in my case) on a floppy, CD or USB stick.

If you get to the point you are in that utility.

I STRONGLY suggest you remove all PCI devices!

My Audigy2 being in is what caused my troubles.

Just mentioning it in case it helps.

thanks guys.
The eprom really died.
I try to flash it in one other p5wdh, it didnt work. As soon as it starts, it aborts and give a error.
I try them flash with a external programmer and it didnt work either.
I buy a new eprom and it works right away.
Problem solved.. :)

Back