• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any point to AMD's dual core driver.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from what I remember, the amd driver was only for cool & quiet. I never used it when I was running my 165 and I never had any stability issues. It may be different now, but I doubt it.

it actually does give performance boosts in many application/games for me, I tested a fresh XP install without then with the driver on my Opty 170, I found increases in almost every test.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
From what i know, I was pretty sure the driver was to solve compatibility issues with older programs etc and prevent issues with BSOD and the like with older programs

That's what I think. I was having some issues with a couple games and the driver fixed them. I think it had something to do with the load transfering back and forth between cores and the driver fixed that.

all the AMD cpu driver is, is a micosoft hotfix (not one automatically downloaded) bundeled in a amd exe, that also changes 1 registry setting and puts one thing in the boot.ini file... click on that like i posted and it will explain.

I was having stability issues until I downloaded everything for dual core opteron off the AMD website. Some of those applications were useless, but the AMD Power Monitor is kinda neat.... kinda.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
From what i know, I was pretty sure the driver was to solve compatibility issues with older programs etc and prevent issues with BSOD and the like with older programs

I agree with that. I've never seen a BSOD on my AMD System..now on my intel rig...hrm...too many to count.

Back