• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plethera of 8800 waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobcatDan

Has anyone else noticed how many new waterblocks there are for the 8800?

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaq88gtx.html (wouldn't touch it, don't like the looks of it)

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=257&cat=0&page=1 (well known)

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=405 (cheaper, but I have seen a bad experience with it, search hardforums for it)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5..._GeForce_8800_GTX_501253.html?tl=g30c87#blank (actually doesn't look that bad, but an unknown company always worries me, and $180 for it...)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21380 (so thin, how the hell does it work?)

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/produ...d=143&osCsid=44db336e210b4e57c5bc51377d2e170d (current king of the hill in most peoples eyes)

Any thoughts, I'm probably getting a GTX (and note that these are all GTX blocks though some have GTS sisters) and looking in to how to cool it most effectively (set on water).
Dan

Been a while since I last watercooled my stuff, but damn, when did video card wb's get so expensive.

CGR said:
Innovatek is hardly an unknown company. They been making WC parts for years.

Fair enough, my bad. I think it looks pretty good, but for $180 I'd look else where.
Dan

Tyranos said:
Been a while since I last watercooled my stuff, but damn, when did video card wb's get so expensive.

The GPU only blocks are much cheeper.

Tyranos said:

Bad thing is a $50 GPU block and $5 worth of ramsinks with some airflow will provide the same results.

satandole666 said:
Bad thing is a $50 GPU block and $5 worth of ramsinks with some airflow will provide the same results.

probably better results. btw, you forgot about the swiftech MCW-60 with the G80 mounting bracket. me wants.... *drools*

1cem4n said:
probably better results. btw, you forgot about the swiftech MCW-60 with the G80 mounting bracket. me wants.... *drools*

Yeah, I was just including full cover blocks, I have never seen this many full covers for one card...

I like full cover blocks because I don't need another case fans blowing over the PCI slot area. But yeah, I'm not sold on the added cost of it.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
That would not be the block I would get, wouldn't even bother with it.
Dan

What would be your recommendation for a whole card cooling block? Or does it make more sense just to get a GPU block and ramsinks as previously discussed? Thanks!

Well Crotonrz, Thermaltake isn't a very populair brand around this forum. Their products are generally not of the same quality as the other brands. On top of that their prices are the same and they cheat a little with the technical specifications of the product (to make them look better then they are). There are exeptions of course like the big typhoon cooler and their cases.

But a full cover gpu block of a different brand or a gpublock with sinks is a very good idea

Didn't know there was that much of a materials price premium on using a bit more metal stock lol.

Crotonrz said:
What would be your recommendation for a whole card cooling block? Or does it make more sense just to get a GPU block and ramsinks as previously discussed? Thanks!

Only GPU block that fits is the Swiftech MCW-60, and you have to buy their adapter plate and their mosfet sinks (or something else that will do the trick), and a sink for that side chip. Honestly, once you buy all that it's close to $80.

Without a doubt I would, and will, go with the EK full cover block. More expensive, about $120 shipped, but better cooling on that side chip and on the MOSFETs (and on the ram, but it doesn't really need it). As for the GPU, I have heard the the EK block is a few degrees warmer than the MCW-60.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Only GPU block that fits is the Swiftech MCW-60, and you have to buy their adapter plate and their mosfet sinks (or something else that will do the trick), and a sink for that side chip. Honestly, once you buy all that it's close to $80.

Without a doubt I would, and will, go with the EK full cover block. More expensive, about $120 shipped, but better cooling on that side chip and on the MOSFETs (and on the ram, but it doesn't really need it). As for the GPU, I have heard the the EK block is a few degrees warmer than the MCW-60.
Dan

ViperFang-III and -IV's also fit 8800's. When going to water on the 8800 YOU MUST take care of the cooling
lost on the Vcore mosfets and the NV I/O chip when the stock air cooler is pulled.

The EK WB runs double digit higher loaded die temps than an ViperFang or MCW60 but poor GPU cooling is
not the real issue with the "All in One" type blocks. "All in Ones" are card dedicated and typically have poor
to none usability on a card upgrade. Minor changes on new model cards renders them useless and you end
up with just a pretty paper weight at card upgrade.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
ViperFang-III and -IV's also fit 8800's. When going to water on the 8800 YOU MUST take care of the cooling
lost on the Vcore mosfets and the NV I/O chip when the stock air cooler is pulled.

The EK WB runs double digit higher loaded die temps than an ViperFang or MCW60 but poor GPU cooling is
not the real issue with the "All in One" type blocks. "All in Ones" are card dedicated and typically have poor
to none usability on a card upgrade. Minor changes on new model cards renders them useless and you end
up with just a pretty paper weight at card upgrade.

Viper

Wow, your blocks are really nice! Two questions, what to you need to power the TEC, and how loud are those little MOSFET fans?
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Wow, your blocks are really nice! Two questions, what to you need to power the TEC, and how loud are those little MOSFET fans?
Dan

ViperFangs are straight water. ViperVenoms are 245w TEC. The TEC's have
to be power from a separate MeanWell power supply.

On your second question about the mosfet heatsink fans...ya can't hear em.

Viper

Back