• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC assistace, please......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ry_YNWA

Registered
:confused::confused::confused:

Hi all.

I'm planning on wc'ing my first built rig. I have most of my components, but I just need a hand and some advice with selecting a few things.... any help or advice will be appreciated.

My rig:

ASUS Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7-3770K
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4GB - x2 SLI
G.Skill Trident-X 32GB (4x 8GB) 2400mhz
OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD
Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 3TB HDD
CM Storm Trooper (window) case

I'm looking at this loop setup:

Res>Pump>240mm Rad>CPU>Thermo Fusion>240mm Rad>SLI GPUs>Res.

The questions I have:

1)
As far as the rads are concerned, I've been told by a lot of people that Black Ice rads are by far the best.

http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=10

I'm not too sure though of the major differences between the GTX and GTS series'. Obviously one is for a more silent build whilst the other is more performance based, but when it comes to watercooling, just how loud are the GTX versions and how much less performance is there with the GTS series??

2)
With my SLI setup, I have found these waterblocks:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ock_-_Nickel_Black_15521.html?tl=g30c311s1631

I'm assuming that I need 1 block per gpu? If that's the case, I'm wanting to cool each gpu simultaneously, where the water gets divided equally as it reaches the gpus (I think that's called a serial setup?). What parts do I need and can anyone recommend to join the blocks together and achieve this?

3)
To cool my cpu, I am planning on using this block:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/supremacy/ek-supremacy-elite-intel-115x.html

I'm just wondering how they rate, I've read some fairly positive reviews, but it never hurts getting more info and feedback.

4)
I'm a bit unsure on what pump to use. For my loop, I've been told on other forums that a D5 pump is the way to go.. can anyone recommend any in particular as far as they go?

5)
For the reservoir, I'm keen on using a bay res. EK make the res that has the wheel that spins, are they all clear-windowed (at the front)? And also, if anyone can recommend any accessories too, that'd be great.

and 6)
I'm planning on using compression fittings, however, I'm not sure what size tubing that I need. Just something clear and that is almost unkinkable, would be great. As for the coolant, people have advised me against it. I'm pretty keen on it though, does anyone have any recommendations for a bright red, performance coolant? Something reliable that tends not to cause blockages etc?

Sorry for my MASSIVE post. I have read a lot of Stickies and many, many forums. However, I still find it hard to get simple, direct; helpful information and answers. I more than appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

Thanks. :)

-Ry

Eeek, one last thing.. any recommendations as far as soundcards go??

Welcome to OCF and the start of watercooling! Down to the gritty:

1) they used to be the best... Back in the day. Do your research on other brands: Swiftech, Phobya (sp?), alphacool, etc. not saying they don't perform but there are many options out there. Do some research on those. Martinsliquidlab.com has a few test and reviews.

2) yes, 1 per chip. Running a Parallel (split) loop has been said to be outperformed by series (one block after another) due to water wanting to go the shortest/less restrictive way. It's looked pretty much down upon here.
RESEARCH, I think somewhere here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092

3) many reviews were done on ek blocks. A quick google search Popped up quite a few, Here's one: http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-24316-view-CPU-waterblock-EK-Supremacy-Elite.html

5) I still use a D5 myself. Have used only for almost 10 years now. Great pump, but I would suggest an mcp35x as a new and better performer though. And again, research more:
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/02/25/swiftech-mcp-35x-reservoir/

5) what reservoir you use is up to you. The only thing we stress here is that the res comes before the pump. Seems you want bling factor.

6) everything about tubes and coolant, research: all these questions can be answered in the watercooling beginners guide stickies at the top of this watercooling sub forum.

Seems you have just been skimming through posts and forums before deciding if this is something you want to do. As stated in 6) I'd advise to read through the watercooling for beginners sticky to better equip yourself for the arduous journey that you are about to embark on that is water cooling. It's an expensive toy that you are about to upgrade and you don't want to ruin it! Good luck, have fun and start a readin'!

(If anything here is incorrect please correct me as I'm doing this on my phone, half asleep, and had a beer or 3. Thank ahead of time!)

Well my 10cents would be like this:

Res>pump>CPU>240mm Rad>GPU>240mm Rad>Res>Pump!!

As you can see the Heat from the CPU goes to the first Rad to be dissipated and then into the input of the GPU. Then the Heat from the 2 SLI GPU's goes into the no 2 Rad to be dissipated. Then back to the Res and then from the Res to the input side of the pump.

Why put the Res before the input side of the pump?

A, To make sure the pump does not run dry.
B, To help to dissipate the air or bubbles in the system if you don't use a combo of pump and Res together.

Before you jump in and take the plunge you need to workout your top TDP output which is your CPU + SLI GPU's in watts. To see if the Radiators you will buy, will deal with that kind of heat load and what speed of fans, what airflow do they have to get rid of that heat etc. Yes i can honestly say, do a whole load of home work before you spend a single DIME on this project!! AJ. :shrug: ;)

Thing is, the temperature of the liquid at any point in the loop varies quite little (couple of C). So outside of putting the pump before the res, LOOP ORDER DOES NOT MATTER.

Maaaaan.. so much more reading! :/ Thanks both for the info.
I have no idea about what fan speeds are necessary. I'm looking at higher end gaming and mild OC'ing, with the possibility to explore higher end OC'ing in the future..... so I'm assuming with that, higher fan speeds? LOL!

The idea of having the rad prior to any component is, from what I've read, that you can gain a few degrees difference in cooling abilities as the liquid will be at its coolest possible temp. after just having left the rad. Yeah, it'll be at a higher temp when it leaves the component, but then it'll reach the next rad before the following component.

Thoughts?

The idea of having the rad prior to any component is, from what I've read, that you can gain a few degrees difference in cooling abilities as the liquid will be at its coolest possible temp. after just having left the rad. Yeah, it'll be at a higher temp when it leaves the component, but then it'll reach the next rad before the following component.

Thoughts?
I already posted my thoughts... let me quote it again. :thup:

Thing is, the temperature of the liquid at any point in the loop varies quite little (couple of C). So outside of putting the pump before the res, LOOP ORDER DOES NOT MATTER.

A component will not be noticeably cooler if it is 'just after a rad'. Again, the temperature inside the loop from any point varies VERY little, on the order of a couple of C (1-4C) in a properly radded, fanned, and flowing (1.5GPM+) loop. So long as the res is before the pump, it will be fine.

I already posted my thoughts... let me quote it again. :thup:

A component will not be noticeably cooler if it is 'just after a rad'. Again, the temperature inside the loop from any point varies VERY little, on the order of a couple of C (1-4C) in a properly radded, fanned, and flowing (1.5GPM+) loop. So long as the res is before the pump, it will be fine.

Thanks mate. Sorry, your post didn't come up before I had written and posted mine (which was in response initially to Ajay57). :p

Ry_YNWA. I read a few stickies out there and they all seem to conclude that loop order doesn't really matter outside of reservoir before pump. Unless your loop is running at capacity, most loops will not see a *significant* temperature difference if you place a radiator before a CPU or GPU.

Is your loop running at capacity? Will running the rad before the CPU/GPU be cumbersome? Depending on where you mount the radiator, you may have an unsightly tube running across the inside of your case. Does aesthetics matter more to you then performance?

Ry_YNWA. I read a few stickies out there and they all seem to conclude that loop order doesn't really matter outside of reservoir before pump. Unless your loop is running at capacity, most loops will not see a *significant* temperature difference if you place a radiator before a CPU or GPU.

Is your loop running at capacity? Will running the rad before the CPU/GPU be cumbersome? Depending on where you mount the radiator, you may have an unsightly tube running across the inside of your case. Does aesthetics matter more to you then performance?

Hi mate. I don't imagine it will be running at capacity... I'm new to watercooling, let alone overclocking. I would like to mildly overclock and then sometime in the future, maybe look at overclocking further.

As for the rad locations, I'm not too sure. I've learnt that unless you modify the case (CM Storm Trooper w/window), you can't fit a 360mm rad in it. So, I thought I would have 2 separate 240mm rads. I was thinking one at the top and one at the bottom. I have no idea how it will look as such, but I would prefer it to look as nice as possible without compensating too much on performance..

Well, the loop has changed. After some further reading, apparently it will be better to have the CPU and SLI GPUs on separate loops. It would mean that there would be far more efficiency with flow rates as well as controlling the CPU loop temp, isolating it more so, and allowing for a higher DT loop for the GPUs (SLI) at the same time.

So having said that, I imagine it would be easier to just get a dual bay dual res/pump combo? -with D5 pumps??

You do not need those in separate loops.

We really need to step back and think a second here... Do you really NEED every degree C you can get? I mean you are not benchmarking, you are not trying to break records in doing so, you are using your PC with some overclocking. If you want to make 2 loops, go for it, but you will be fine with two rads, CPU and 2 GPUs in the loop with a D5 pump IMO.

Ahh k, thanks mate. Sorry... I don't know what is considered 'extreme cooling' and just 'regular gaming type cooling' as far as temps are concerned. I was under the impression that if you can get a degree here and there, it'll only benefit the loop and the system.

But if it doesn't matter, I'll just go with my original loop and a D5 pump with a bay res and the 2x 240mm rads? :)

RY,

Keep reading.. :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?254683-Dual-Loop-versus-Single-the-facts

Going with two loops has its pros and cons. This all comes down to what you want to do. Will you be breaking records or just casual computing with some gaming?

I have 2 rads and two pumps in a giant loop cooling my SLI 560GTX cards and CPU. I like know that both rads are being used at any given point. If you do decide to go with the dual loops, just know you make have some extra cooling capacity being wasted if that component is not being maxed out..

RY,

Keep reading.. :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?254683-Dual-Loop-versus-Single-the-facts

Going with two loops has its pros and cons. This all comes down to what you want to do. Will you be breaking records or just casual computing with some gaming?

I have 2 rads and two pumps in a giant loop cooling my SLI 560GTX cards and CPU. I like know that both rads are being used at any given point. If you do decide to go with the dual loops, just know you make have some extra cooling capacity being wasted if that component is not being maxed out..

Blue,

Thanks again mate. :thup: So that's sorted. 1 loop it is!

Now as far as pumps as res' go, I want a dual bay res. Is it best to buy one with a pump (single or double, and which would be best?), or a 'stand-alone res'? And if I get a stand-alone res, can you buy separate flow meters etc?

You don't need flow meters. Or temp gauges.

But, yes you can have flow meters separately.. In our WC stickies is a list of stores worldwide. Look through some of them.

And keep reading. You seem not to have a grasp on the basics yet.

Also rule of thumb is 120.2 rad per chip unless you want a blazing screaming rig on 120.1 per chip.

Like everyone else has said, keep reading. Take your time. Once you're ready you will know it.

Thanks mate. I pretty well have it sussed now, as far as components etc. are concerned. Just a few more things to get some advice on, if you don't mind..

1)
Trying to watercool my SLI GPU setup. I have 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4GB cards and 2 Heatkiller x³ 680 PCB ('Hole Edition') GPU waterblocks. I'm wanting to connect a 'series-link' setup (with my ASUS Maximus V Formula mobo). Can anyone advise me as to what I need to make this happen? I've found this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...l_Link_Bridge_Block_10196.html?tl=g30c101s873 However, I'm not sure about the distances it mentions (81mm), the distance between my 1st and 2nd GPU slots is 100mm.... I've also just seen this setup: http://www.xtremeshack.com/photos/1ec2106b.jpg So, do I just require the piping between the two GPU waterblocks?

2)
I want to use compression fittings but I'm not too sure about what size to use (the same with hoses too actually). If anyone has any advice on this?

and
3)
The liquid itself.. Ideally, I'd prefer to use a red liquid, but I've read that eventually this can stain tubing and leave sediments at the components etc., causing blockages. Has this all changed? If not, I understand that distilled water is the way to go. Do I just put distilled water in, or do I have to add anything else to it?

Again, any info is greatly appreciated.

Also, I HAVE read quite a lot (on manufacturer sites, review sites and many forums (incl. Stickies)). I find it so much easier just asking people who know and are experienced who can just give you their thoughts, opinions and advice on things and gaining direct answers and information rather than getting mass amounts of mixed information and trying to 'piece' it all together just to come back to forums for help anyway. <-this isn't supposed to sound rude in any way or mean to offend, just a thought.

Thanks all.
-Ry

Back