• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo died. help choose one for an 805.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nth697

got an Asus p5n32-sli deluxe from newegg for cheep on an open box special 1/2 a year ago but it recently died. so Im looking for a new home for my pentium d 805, dual channel ddr2 ram, and pci-e 7600gt.

I would like the mobo to have on board raid and it needs to be a stable overclocker. If possible Id like to choose one that leaves room for an upgrade latter on. price is an issue but Ill lay down the extra $ if its worth it in a dollar/performace way.

so Im going to start looking at all the usual sites and bring back some ideas. if you have a favorite you would like to recommend I would love to hear your opinions.

thanks
nth

after cruising the net for a while I looked at some boards and read some stuff about chipsets. I have a better idea of what I want now.

onboard SATA 3gb RAID 0,1,5,JBOD- Ill be using a raid 0 setup with my 2 maxtor 200gb 7200rpm drives

DDR2 800mhz- Ill be reusing my A-DATA Vitesta DDR2 533 2X1gb dual channel that got to 770 with 2.2V 4-3-3-7 2T. extra points for motherboards that work well with overclocked ram.

stable FSB- I plan on FSB overclocking because I have a pentium d 805 with a locked multiplyer and in the future Ill probably get a E4300. so I dont want to look at the advertised max FSB as much as I want to see how it preforms in the real world.

gb lan- dual gb lan would be nice but its not important

core 2 duo support- should I worry about core 2 Extreme? quad core? or am I looking too far into the future?

SLI- would be nice but I guess its not that big of a deal

prices for something like this looks like its in the 120 to 150 $ range.

thanks

Last edited:
If you haven't already bought that motherboard, I would get one with an Intel chipset. Since you are on a budget, check out the Gigabyte DS3.

i second the gigabyte ds3. and just to note, since your ram is ddr2-533 you shouldn't have any ram issues.

nope, too late. order shipped at 8:50something this morning. why do you say ds3? reviews on the p5n32-e sli plus are positive, it has an impressive ammount of crap on it, its within my price range and unless theres some big changes in hardware in the next couple years this mobo will still be able to keep up. Ill admit ds3 costs less but it comes with less too.

p965 is great for overclocking intel cpu's. I don't know much about the overclockability of the i650's

The Nvidia 650 chipset is less than stellar, especially at high FSB speeds. Not sure what "reviews" you've seen, but I've read plenty here on the forum that would persuade me to never buy one. The good news is you don't need high FSB for the 805. When you go to upgrade to C2D, just make sure you get an E4400 or something like that with a high multiplier.

cool. that was the plan. thanks for the info. if anything I think my ram will stop me first.

I vote for the DFI 965P-S or plain 965P.The Plain 965P doesnt have the solid caps that the S does but should OC just as well. Its kind of like the Gigabyte S3 vs DS3.Newegg has the 965P-S on back order with ETA of 4/20.Listed price is $139

nth697 said:
cool. that was the plan. thanks for the info. if anything I think my ram will stop me first.

Not sure how high your RAM will O/C, but most PC2-533 I've used will usually do 300 FSB at 1:1 ratio (DDR2-600) with extra voltage and maybe relaxing the timings. If yours will do at least that much and when you finally upgrade to C2D, then the E4400 like I mentioned earlier would be good for 3 gig. Not bad for a budget system.

thanks batboy. as of right now the e4400 or e4300 look like the obvious upgrade options for someone with a system like mine. but Im going to reserve my judgement untill its time to buy the new chip. I think (novice oppinion here) that there might be a serious price war to look forward to.

Back