• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cat5e cable + rj45 ends

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetworkGuru

I need to run an ethernet cable through the walls of my house where another cable used to be. So I need about 50ft of cable without the connectors on the ends (otherwise it won't fit through the holes). Then I need 2 RJ45 connectors (one for each end). Does anyone know where I can get the cable and the connectors for cheap?

Could always buy 100 feet of cat5 with connectors, cut them off and clamp your own connectors on after you've run the cable. This will help your odds of finding cabling locally. I'm assuming you will also need crimpers, which would be cheapest through an ebay reseller. But radio shack does sell crimpers and connectors for a 500% markup.

Last edited:
Pinky said:
Could always buy 100 feet of cat5 with connectors, cut them off and clamp your own connectors on after you've run the cable. This will help your odds of finding cabling locally. I'm assuming you will also need crimpers, which would be cheapest through an ebay reseller. But radio shack does sell crimpers and connectors for a 500% markup.

Is normal patch cable rated for use in walls?

SavageBasher said:
Is normal patch cable rated for use in walls?

As long as it is plenum grade, then it should be fine for use in walls. Just keep it away from any pre-existing wiring to prevent interference.

For a quick fix, home depot and lowes sell cat5 and rj45s, more expensive than online vendors, but cheaper than most of the local computer stores like KompUSSR, microcenter or office/max/staple/depot.

You'll need a crimping tool.

I have about 700' of blue cat5e and 800' or grey cat5e if you are interested, I can cut you off a length and include the ends for cheap.

Jon said:
As long as it is plenum grade, then it should be fine for use in walls. Just keep it away from any pre-existing wiring to prevent interference.

Plenum grade is for use inside air conditioner ducts, is more expensive, and produces less toxic smoke when burning.

For walls plenum grade is not necessary in most jurisdictions.

Last edited:
What is a plenum?
According to the National Electric Code (NEC) a plenum is a "compartment or chamber to which one or more air ducts are connected and [which] forms part of the air distribution system." To qualify as a plenum, the space above an acoustic tile ceiling would have to extend above other rooms in the same building or be open to ducts connecting it to other parts of the building. The concern is that during a fire, if there is burning material in a plenum air space, smoke and fumes can travel through air ducts to the whole building. For this reason, there are codes to restrict the types of materials (such as wiring) that can be placed in the plenum.

It's quite common to have an acoustic tile ceiling without having a plenum. If your room-dividing walls extend above the dropped ceiling and seal off the space above, you do not have a plenum air space and so may not require plenum-rated wires. (See illustration.) You can lift up an acoustical tile in your room and peek in to see if your room has a plenum.

What is the code?
According to the National Electric Code (NEC), in plenum air spaces you must use plenum rated cables, also called Communications Plenum Cable (CMP). Plenum cable is only required when cable is installed in a plenum air space. Materials kept below the ceiling — including speaker wire, computer cables, telephone cords, etc. — do not need to be plenum rated according to the NEC.

Remember that even though the National Electric Code may allow non-plenum cable, the final decision is up to your local Fire Marshall. Most cities adopt the national codes as their own without revision, but some cities modify or expand them and require plenum-rated cable in all situations. Regardless of the code or its interpretation, your Fire Marshall makes the final decision. We recommend that you contact your Fire Marshall if you have questions.

Radioshack has awful pricing.
Monoprice has wallet friendly pricing.
If also shopped deep surplus. I have nothing against them and they're great. Monoprice seems to be my favorite though.

Definitly check with your local codes on Plenum cable.

A friend of mine runs a computing/network business and was outbid on a job to wire an office. He made a comment to them about how his competitor cuts corners. Well 6 months later when they put an addition onto their building the building inspector discovered all the network cable that was run was non-plenum. OOOOPS!

So with my friend we got to go in on the weekend and pull out all the practically new cable, and rerun it all and had to have it all back and running like nothing happened for Monday. It ended up being 4 LARGE garbage bags full of cables. Also We did manage to knock out some of the security system, would have been nice if the people that ran the wrong cable at least used a different color then everything else in the ceiling.

So once again, CHECK YOUR BUILDING REGULATIONS

SunRedRX7 said:
Definitly check with your local codes on Plenum cable.

A friend of mine runs a computing/network business and was outbid on a job to wire an office. He made a comment to them about how his competitor cuts corners. Well 6 months later when they put an addition onto their building the building inspector discovered all the network cable that was run was non-plenum. OOOOPS!

So with my friend we got to go in on the weekend and pull out all the practically new cable, and rerun it all and had to have it all back and running like nothing happened for Monday. It ended up being 4 LARGE garbage bags full of cables. Also We did manage to knock out some of the security system, would have been nice if the people that ran the wrong cable at least used a different color then everything else in the ceiling.

So once again, CHECK YOUR BUILDING REGULATIONS

Did yous at least get to keep the pulled cables?

Back