• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Server down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Code:
[01:06:55] - 13 failed uploads of this unit.

[01:06:55] + Attempting to send results
[01:06:55] - Reading file work/wuresults_00.dat from core
[01:06:55]   (Read 5521760 bytes from disk)
[01:06:55] Connecting to http://171.65.103.100:8080/
[01:06:55] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[01:06:55] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[01:06:55]     (171.65.103.100:8080)
[01:06:55]   Could not transmit unit 00 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[01:06:55] + Sent 0 of 2 completed units to the server
[01:06:55] - Autosend completed

[00:58:44] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.65).
[00:58:44] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[00:58:45] Loaded queue successfully.
[00:58:57] + Could not connect to Work Server
[00:58:57] - Error: Attempt #4 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Getting something similiar for my Ubuntu box... Sounds like it must be.

Edit: Never mind! Just connnected and downloaded a work unit! CRUNCHtime baby!

I am not having problems with it here.

I wonder if your queue is borked?

You might need to try qfix'ing it (make a backup first).

You might also try stopping the client and then run the client with just the "-send all" flag , possibly a few times, before trying to fix the queue ... you may have just hit a transient load problem on the work server and the previous send attempts.

/edit ... i may have spoken too soon ... one box here is trying to upload a wu now and it looks very slow in system monitor/network, and i did notice download was pretty slow on a previous clients download a few minutes ago..

update ... the last upload i said was slow ... did complete.

@ deathknight ... win smp is fed by a different server than linux ... but i have been suspecting for a while that stanford's network might be capacity challenged with all the new ps3 clients and folders on top of the size of the smp wu downloads and uploads.

I also think that their end of the network also 'picks' on some ip addresses ... ie bugs in firewalls/routers/assignment servers ... i am pretty sure i have victimized by it before.

But WIII's problem is most likely a bug in the smp client cuz there are still lots of them :shrug:

WU is a 1496, (run 49, clone 32 gen 12)

Completed 100%, no errors. DL'd a 3042 (Run 0, Clone 192, Gen 16)

The 2nd unit is @ 74% right now.
I've restarted the client & did -send all

No go.

Time for a reboot maybe?

I will let this one finish & see what happens.

WarriorII said:
WU is a 1496, (run 49, clone 32 gen 12)

If you look at the psummary page you will see that said unit comes from 171.64.122.68 VSP01 and that the server is currently DOWN according to the serverstat page. So a reboot is not necessary. Just be patient for that server to return. ALSO note that the collection server .100 has an extremely high load (4.30) now due to several others servers being down in relation to a UPS upgrade. Fold on! :thup:

:)

Thank you Mac.
I really should learn where to look when trouble like this comes up.

Being a Linux n00b doesn't help. :eek:

I still have 25% left to Fold on this 2nd WU, so I think DL isn't a problem.

I'll just queue them up all day long. It'll just make Shelnutt2's jaw drop farther
when they finally do upload. ;)

Again, Thanks All.

Fold On!
:attn:

WarriorII said:
:)

Thank you Mac.
I really should learn where to look when trouble like this comes up.

Being a Linux n00b doesn't help. :eek:

I still have 25% left to Fold on this 2nd WU, so I think DL isn't a problem.

I'll just queue them up all day long. It'll just make Shelnutt2's jaw drop farther
when they finally do upload. ;)

Again, Thanks All.

Fold On!
:attn:

Just don't let it miss the deadline ... or your jaw will drop, or blood pressure rise :eek:

I should have checked status too :eek: ... turns out vijay had posted about network problems they were having :shrug:

How do I not miss the deadline if this is the only single client Linux box I have?

Especially if their server is not taking WU's :bang head :p

"It's not MY fault!!"

There was an accident...
I had a flat tire...
A swarm of Locus attaced us...
I forgot my tux at the cleaners...

IT WASN'T MY FAULT !!!!!!!!!

WarriorII said:
How do I not miss the deadline if this is the only single client Linux box I have?

Especially if their server is not taking WU's :bang head :p

"It's not MY fault!!"

There was an accident...
I had a flat tire...
A swarm of Locus attaced us...
I forgot my tux at the cleaners...

IT WASN'T MY FAULT !!!!!!!!!

The client only retries every 6 hours ... you can force it to retry sooner/more often by restarting the client or by running it with just the '-send all' flag until it succeeds.

So just make sure you try to 'force' it in before the deadline if possible.

If this is a protracted problem at stanford, i am not sure if they have a way to temporarily extend the deadline ... since unless you have the client configured to ignore deadlines, I don't think it will even try to send it it once passsed. I don't know if the ignore deadline setting will affect all queued wu's or just new ones ... ie can you change it after the fact.

I let it stand alone (turned on - waiting) & it tried 13 times by itself.

I did the -send all flag & tried to force it for about 1/2 hour.

I'll let this WU finish & see if it goes, if not, I'll
leave it on a -send all flag until it goes.

Last edited:
Stanford is experiencing a very serious network slowdown that is causing the number of simultaneous connections to go way up which causes inability to connect. I have a number of machines of all types that either can't get or return work. Some of the uploads from the SMP rigs have been at 1Kb/sec which takes a very long time.

Got those 587pointers for the first time in a couple months(2 in a row), I was wondering if the 2604,and 2605 ever run out? Or do they send them out to the fastest machines?

Last edited:
dfonda said:
Got those 587pointers for the first time in a couple months, I was wondering if the 2604,and 2605 ever run out? Or do they send them out to the fastest machines?

I've been getting almost nothing but the 2604/2605 too. I get a 587 pointer about once every 3 weeks or so.

dfonda said:
Not that were not thankful.... right Shell:D
Can they tell how fast your machine is by the work youv'e been doing?

Duh! I think they do it by cores. I remember that some new work units came out and where only for quad cores. So we might just be getting the wonderful, no really they are wonderful I get ~2k ppd, 2604/2605's.

Shelnutt2 said:
Duh! I think they do it by cores. I remember that some new work units came out and where only for quad cores. So we might just be getting the wonderful, no really they are wonderful I get ~2k ppd, 2604/2605's.

Yeah, I know. :( :p

I'll be back, you're not out of the woods just yet....... :confused: :bday:

Oh, and yeah, my queued WU finally went today. Really really slow, but it went.

I really like our back & forth "Grudge Matches".

Back