• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price Alert

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess that means the amd 65nm line should be droping it's price on the 22 also right?

Hey, now for another "noob" question about OC'ing. :) I was just over at the [H] forum reading their Intel posts and somebody was saying that OC'ing would stress your mobo and memory. I'm still kind of "shell shocked" from my MSI 939 skt board going tits up. (now I have a X2 4200+ cpu and no mobo, it was OC'ed to 2.4 GHz, stressed out?) I have a E6600 OC'ed to just 2.9 GHZ GHz, 2 GB's 667 RAM in a AW9D-MAX mobo, a E6420, 1 GB el cheapo PC6400 RAM in a P5B Dlx mobo a E6400 1 GB el cheapo PC6400 RAM in another P5B Dlx mobo and a E6300 OC'ed to 2.6 GHz with more el cheapo PC6400 RAM in a Biostar something mobo These OC's aren't high enough to stress the mobo and RAM are they :confused: (I do like my el cheapo RAM :rolleyes: ) This OC'ing and folding is definitely addicting, along with being frustrating, confusing for "noob" OC'ers and expensive.

Edit: I know there's a risk in all OC'ing, I just wanted an opinion from people I trust

Last edited:
Ok My opinion Do you really plan on owning the same Mobo, CPU, Ram, PSU, etc for more the a yr or so? I dont so IMO if it last 11 months then it was time to upgrade anyways.

No one can really answer your questions. They just don't know when or if "this" level of O/C'ing or "that" level, will shorten the expected life of the cpu or mobo, or ram, or whatever. It statistically does, though. For specifics, it's a crap shoot.

Like a car - if you always run it below redline, it SHOULD have a longer MTBF, than if you run it consistently at 500 rpm over it's redline,but that's not always true. O/C'ing mildly WILL have a probability of shortening it's life - but how much and for which race cars (chips and cpu's in our case), no one can say.

Temperature has a lot to do also with how long rigs will last.

That's why we have chips and cpu's we can overclock in the first place. The manufacturers can't design a chip that will work this long, with a high degress of reliability, without over-designing them to work longer and faster.

Adak

jonspd said:
Ok My opinion Do you really plan on owning the same Mobo, CPU, Ram, PSU, etc for more the a yr or so? I dont so IMO if it last 11 months then it was time to upgrade anyways.

Hey, thanx for the opinion jonspd. I wasn't considering "homesteading" my current gear, I just thought I don't want to ruin one of my P5B Dlx's because when I get enough change from recycling aluminum cans I 'd like to throw a X3210 in one. (I'm just a small time farmer starting out :eh?: )

@Adak, thanks for the fast post, if there's one thing I have learned in my short career of OC'ing, the chip has got to be cool, even more so the higher the clock. I only wanted an opinion, I don't think anyone here has a "crystal ball" so it'd be hard to answer a question like mine accurately.

Last edited:
I totally want a quad now, just out of my price range though...

@Adak, thanks for the fast post, if there's one thing I have learned in my short career of OC'ing, the chip has got to be cool, even more so the higher the clock. I only wanted an opinion, I don't think anyone here has a "crystal ball" so it'd be hard to answer a question like mine accurately.

Since the chip makers have to know how their chips will perform, a statistically relevant number are tested under varying loads and temperature. So the info is indeed known - but not outside a select few in the company.

:burn: Yep! I tell my posts to outrun any other post on the forum! :burn:

:cool:
Adak

Thanks for the link Zim, Free Shipping too.:)
I'll wait till Monday but this is cheap enough for me I have to get the 6400 replaced before I get another 2608 or 09.

So glad to have picked up a 2604 on that rig.

and JW you can't be a noob any more with this Sig.:p

One cat (OC'ed depending on amount of catnip)
Intel PD 805 (OC'ed 2.8 GHz) Ubuntu 6.10 SMP
Intel E6600 (OC'ed 2.9 GHz) Ubuntu 6.10 SMP
Intel E6420 (OC'ed 3.0 GHz) Ubuntu 6.10 SMP
Intel E6400 (OC'ed 3.0 GHz) Ubuntu 6.10 SMP
Intel E6300 (OC'ed 2.8 GHz) Ubuntu 6.10 SMP
All but the cat folding 24/7 for the cause

You can refer to yourself as a "Former Noob":D

jws2346 said:
Hey, now for another "noob" question about OC'ing. :) I was just over at the [H] forum reading their Intel posts and somebody was saying that OC'ing would stress your mobo and memory. I'm still kind of "shell shocked" from my MSI 939 skt board going tits up. (now I have a X2 4200+ cpu and no mobo, it was OC'ed to 2.4 GHz, stressed out?) I have a E6600 OC'ed to just 2.9 GHZ GHz, 2 GB's 667 RAM in a AW9D-MAX mobo, a E6420, 1 GB el cheapo PC6400 RAM in a P5B Dlx mobo a E6400 1 GB el cheapo PC6400 RAM in another P5B Dlx mobo and a E6300 OC'ed to 2.6 GHz with more el cheapo PC6400 RAM in a Biostar something mobo These OC's aren't high enough to stress the mobo and RAM are they :confused: (I do like my el cheapo RAM :rolleyes: ) This OC'ing and folding is definitely addicting, along with being frustrating, confusing for "noob" OC'ers and expensive.

Edit: I know there's a risk in all OC'ing, I just wanted an opinion from people I trust

As adak and others have said, i don't think there is a hard and fast rule, and of course every cpu and mobo are different.

Although heat is a factor, from general reading i have done, variations in heat is a bigger factor than the heat itself, althouh scorching temps aren't going to be good ... but you aren't going to be running that hot 724 folding since most cpu's will EUE constantly once you get out of their comfort zone. But during initial testing i often supply more V just to find the limits. The difference is now because of my experience, i don't go as high in initial tests ... no point really since the cpu won't fold stable there anyway for long.

So, from my experience with trying to find the highest oc's possible, I would have to say high voltages is the biggest factor. Of course high voltages and the high fsb you are trying to achieve, both bring high temps unless you do extreme cooling.

I am pretty sure that i have had 3 cpu's die due to high voltages. And 3 mobo's die that were really not up to the task long term of feeding the high power demands of 3 oc'ed 830D's - the 830D's could take it ... the p5ld2's couldn't. If i had oc'ed them less and hence less voltage/power demands on the mobo's, they might still be alive. But they all worked very hard for over a year :D

I think the cpu's that have died on me are because of me giving them very large amounts of V triying to find their max OC initially. And then subsequently letting them fold at pretty high v 724. One 930 and one 920 suffered this fate.

In the case of these 2 cpu's, they were run on various p5wd2 models. These mobo's are still running strong. I had bought the p5ld2's as cheaper folders, and they didn't oc as well as the p5wd2's, nor did they last. So, since i run all my rigs oc'ed, i now go for the more rubust mobo's. I think the p5b-d's are great and will prolly outlast the cpu's esp the 1'st 6600 which also suffered due to my early oc testing. It's still running fine and i was gentler with it than my 900D's so hopefully it won't die early on me.

I have mentioned it before, but worth resatating, that when you oc, make sure you manually find the lowest v setting for the cpu - don't leave the v setting on auto since i have found in limited tests, that auto settings supply much higher V at high fsb than are needed.
A rule of thumb i have heard before is you are pretty safe if you don't exceed vendor max voltage spec by 10-15%.

I also used to get high v loving memory and then give it lots when i oc, but recent experiences with crucial ballistix tells me that their memory/pcb's can't take it. Crucial is the only vendors mem i have ever had fail on me, and likely due to high V and/or the heat generated by high V.

Last edited:
Back