• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's #8 in the world? Who earned 20 BILLION!!! AGAIN???!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
If I gave you three guesses for either of the title questions, that would be three too many.
We are clearly still #8 in the world. Only 7 teams are between us and total world domination. 7.
Who earned 20 billion.... again? If you didn't think that it was HayesK, then you are new here and welcome to you. :welcome:
Let's keep this party rolling. Who's going to hit a billion before a month's time? Raymond_Abbott.

On the world front, we are #8. Have I mentioned that before? Just in case, I'll write it again. We are #8 in the world.
HayesK_ALL is #33 in the world.
WhitehawkEQ is #35.
torin3 seems to have dropped out but is #74. I hope that you are doing well.
HayesK_GRC is #82
dfonda is #84
Holdolin is #92

As already established, we are still #8 in the world with one team still pouring it on. EPFL is foundering again but they are still producing a lot of science. We are still going after Hardware.no, NVIDIA and EVGA albeit slowly for the moment. That will change. The team is still losing active folders. That I don't get. I know that we have to slow down in the summer but hopefully not quit. I just had a humbling thought. I hope that non of you are in the areas of the floods, tornadoes or in a devastating heat wave. Geez, I'd feel bad if I called you out for not folding only to find out you're in an area where you're in potential danger. Remember, you always have a pass if there are circumstances that prevent you from folding. Weather, family, financial, etc. There are reasons to not fold and I hope you are never confronted with any of them.

OK, I got side-tracked there. 37 active folders with a ppd of 8.4 million. We will do better when the weather is more favorable to do so. No worries.

Top 17 are all earning 1 million ppd
Top 6 are all earning 10 million ppd
Top 4 are all earning 20 million ppd
top 2 are all earning 40 million ppd
Top 1 is earning 134 million ppd

HayesK_GRC has just earned 20 billion! WOOT WOOT!
Raymond Abbott has just earned 900 million.
thor17usa has just earned 80 million.
Ave_Regina has just earned 8 million.

Great job to everyone still in the active fold. Congratulations to all who have earned milestones. Even those not highlighted here.

Thank you everyone and now back to the fold.

Hello Guys,

I have been trying to help a PhD student at University of Illinois who is focusing his thesis on GPCR (Gamma protein) with the Parkinson/Huntington disease. As the protein he is simulating is large in comparison with the others it takes him 3-4 months to get a modalization.

I was wondering if you would be able to direct some of your GPUs F@H cluster towards the Parkinson preference to help him get results faster?

It would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

I can choose Parkinson's as a preference but if WU's get scarce for one project or another we pretty much do the work the servers send us...

Also on the scale of the project as a whole our Teams
's output is a small splash in a big pool of water. A Super Computer would make a bigger difference, I think the concerted effort on Covid 19 did make a difference.

@thiblec :welcome:

Thank you for reaching out. You certainly have reached the right audience. We are trying to do as much good in as many areas as Folding covers. Our reward for doing so are points that we can't spend and the knowledge that we are doing "good" in the world. Members may make the switch to one cause over another but know that when we switch to individual projects, those projects may not be steady. As @dfonda was saying, The servers may have a limited number of Work Units (WUs) to hand out. Once they have all been assigned, our folding computers sit idle. When our machines sit idle, we are not earning points and we are not doing "good".

That is not to say that the project you are drawing attention to isn't important. It is. I'm just saying that this is what is in opposition to your request. As a team and as a defacto spokesperson (for lack of a better term) we neither advocate for nor against your proposed action. If team members would like to dedicate power to a single project, they should do so. As a team, we only want to do good in the world of medical research.

Thank you again for reaching out to our team. We've worked hard for many years to be at the level we are. We always hope that our work helps people like your friend to find cures that were not available before.

Please pass along to the PhD student our respect and encouragement to continue their research.

Edit: My response above is incorrect and the proper information is listed below. Apologies to all. Thank you @HayesK.

Last edited:
Don,
The "cause" setting is only a preference for the donor. If no wu are available for the selected cause, the assignment server will send something else. The project manager sets the project priority, which determines how frequently the project wu will be assigned.

thiblet
Which project? psummary shows project 14955, with cause parkinsons. https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary?visibility=ALL

14955128.174.73.74299,8451.002.00100,0000x22pdb3

Don,
The "cause" setting is only a preference for the donor. If no wu are available for the selected cause, the assignment server will send something else. The project manager sets the project priority, which determines how frequently the project wu will be assigned.

thiblet
Which project? psummary shows project 14955, with cause parkinsons. https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary?visibility=ALL

14955128.174.73.74299,8451.002.00100,0000x22pdb3
Great news. I'm happy to be wrong.

Back