• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Mountings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogredemon

Registered
Some guidance would be appreciated here.

Quite often with a new Mobo, you get a little pack of brass standoffs, screws etc. Also some little (usually red) insulating washers. Can someone tell me the point of these washers. Are they just there to cushion the screws. They can't be to insulate the board surely, because the screw is going into the brass standoff, attached to the case anyway.

I've also seen plastic standoffs. These screw into the case, and then you're supposed to just pop the board into place over the forked tops of them. So question. As there is NO metal in them, do you need to 'earth' the board by using just one brass standoff and screw in one hole?

Also. how easy is it to get the board off again if you need to remove it, because these plastic ones look as though they are pretty good, but I wouldn't want to damage the board in any way as they look like they would grip pretty tightly.

Up to now, I've only ever used just plain screws into brass standoffs, and never had a problem, but I just wondered what you guys reckon?

Look on your mobo. If the holes have metalic connection around the screw hole, then use the brass standoffs. If an insulating washer is needed, the mobo manual should tell you.

This question pops up now and then, so I thought I'd do a little Googling...

From pcguide.com>
Determine If Washers Are Required: Examine the heads of the screws that you will use to secure the motherboard to the metal standoffs under the screw-in mounting holes. If the head of the screw is large enough that after tightening the screw the head might make contact with the circuitry on the motherboard, you must use a plastic or paper washer under the screw head to prevent accidentally shorting out the motherboard. Most motherboard manufacturers are smart enough today to leave a little extra space around the mounting holes.

Now that one is finally answered (for me too).
And :welcome: to the Forums!

And don't forget to use the right screws (aka pay attention to what you're grabbing :bang head).
I am a not-so proud owner of an unremovable mobo :rolleyes:.

Thanks guys. That's a pretty comprehensive answer. I've been building my own PC's for years, but did one for a buddy recently which would only work when I put the washers UNDER the board. By that, I mean put the screws through the holes, then the washer, and then screw it to the brass standoffs.
Fun to get them all in place I can tell you!
Never understand it. The screws all screw into brass inserts which are attached to the case, so how on earth can a washer (which the screw passes through) insulate?? it just aint possible!

Thanks for the welcome too. Never found this site till recently, and it's very helpful.

As an additional point, a lot of the plastic standoffs are a problem, in that they don't screw in but use pushpoints, which are aggravating, to say the least on removal. Another point, and strictly anecdotal from reading. A lot of sites recommend using only six standoffs for a mobo connection. Having been doing this for years, and looking at both sides of a mobo, I can't see a reason, but apparently using the most common standoff spots solves connection difficulties. Take it with a grain of salt.

There are more problems with plastic standoffs than just the removal factor. At least the only time I ever used them, they had a nasty tendance to sheer off right below the mobo. :( Motherboard was left hanging from the PCI brackets.

I am a not-so proud owner of an unremovable mobo .
I take it that you didn't feel the resistance of using tight threaded screws in the stand offs? You know that you can get those out, it is just a pain to do it.

Back