• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice to improve Supreme Commander FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi guys,

I pretty much run my current 3200+ Venice at 2.6GHz 1.5v everday and it tops out at about 49c full load.

Now, would running at 2.75GHz at 1.65v be ok day in day out?

I want to maximize my FPS for Supreme Commander as it really brings my system to it's knees!

Also, people seem to see a huge difference in having dual core for this game.
I'll have to save up some money and get a cheap X2 Brisbane :)

Supcom support dual-core and quad-core cpus, and not only that, to have a playable experience u NEED dual-core cpu as you can see here: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwNiwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

The single-core performance was simply dismal and unplayable, period. We have the game set at the absolute lowest settings possible, 1027x768 with everything as low as it will go in the graphics menu of the game, yet, it is still unplayable. 1024x768 is the lowest resolution supported in the game. We are averaging a pitiful 10 FPS. If you look at the graph the single-core performance (red line) is mostly between 5 and 10 FPS, this is entirely unplayable in Supreme Commander.

Well I get more than 10fps that is for sure....

In single player skirmish I get ~30fps...but when the going gets tough...I drop fast.

Online though it gets very hard and I am limited to 2v2 games.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't play at 1400x900 resolution :eek:

Last edited:
The upcoming patch should make things better, I believe a developer said they rewrote some entire sections of the engine for better performance.

You still would need dual-core, I would say, however.

What would be the cheapest option for me?

It would probably be ~$300 to upgrade because I would need 1) Dual Core Processor 2) Motherboard 3) DDR2 RAM (1GB Minimum)

I was actually looking around the General and in hte sticky they have:

AMD System:

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane OEM - $59 (link)
* Biostar Tforce550 - $79.99 (link)
* G.Skill 2x512mb DDR2-800 F2-6400CL4D-1GBPK - $74.99 (link)

Total: $213.98
Typical OC on Air Cooling: 2.9ghz (53%)
Price/OC Ratio: 4.03

That's actually a lot better than I thought...I would probably chose one 1GB stick and get another later. That would be more sensible over 2x512mb correct? As later, having 4 sticks of RAM can cause some problems with getting the highest frequencies possible.

EDIT: I could also sell my Venice+TForce board as it clocks pretty nice :)

Back