• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help making htpc silent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

So, I just bought a passively cooled 7600GS to replace the loud 6600GT I had in my htpc. The noise level has gone down significantly, but now I realize the Vantec Stealth fans I bought for it when I built it really aren't that quiet. The 80's are loud from moving air, and the 92's buzz.

SO, I need 2x 80mm for the rear, and 2x 92mm for the front. Right now, I'm just running rears, and the computer keeps cool enough, so this is always an option too.

I came across this for the 80mm, its rated at <16 db, though I have no idea how accurate that is.
http://www.nexfan.com/evercool-ever-green-120mm-fan-ec-egf-8.html

Also, this one @ 14db:
http://www.nexfan.com/enermax-80mm-enlobal-magnetic-baraometric-bearing-fan.html

and for the 92, maybe these:
http://www.nexfan.com/evercool-ever-green-120mm-fan-ec-egf-9.html

What can you guys recommend? Any experience with what's linked above?

Thanks, as always.

LandShark said:
hmmm..... I'm using Vantec Stealth fans on mine and pretty happy with it. as I hear my PS3's fan rather than the htpc's fans...

I think I would normally be happy with them, but this thing is in my bedroom. My room is practically silent at night when I go to bed, except for the htpc, so any noise sticks out. Either that, or I got spoiled with my desktop, which is nearly silent when I turn the fans down.

These 92mms should work well if you undervolt them, as should these 80mms. Both will need to be undervolted if you want them to be really quiet, though. If you don't have a fan controller, I recommend this.

Holy crap, I've been looking for the rheobus in black forver now, everyone was out of stock for the longest time. It won't fit in my htpc case (won't be able to close the door) but I want to have another on hand if the one in my main rig ever goes. I'd be lost without this thing. I went through hell trying to find a fan controller that wouldn't make my fans buzz!

Any idea how those stack up against those fans I linked to above? They have a lower db rating.

vantec steals are about the worst excuse for silent fans ever.

I would take a look at www.silentpcreview.com they have some fan reviews on different sizes and they are really anal about noise over there lol.... i got the quiet bug and in my main system im running 5 yate loons at 6v, and 2 hds suspended with stretch magic. lol

I plan on building a fully passive system outta a p4 2.0ghz lol

You could try 7 volting your current fans. Or get a fan controller. I actually have the one Radical linked to in my HTPC. If it won't work with your case door you could always try mounting it backwards. I have mine backwards so it doesn't mess up the clean look of the HTPC case. The only downside is you have to open the case to adjust the fans, but once I got them set so I couldn't hear them I haven't touched it.

Dermen said:
You could try 7 volting your current fans. Or get a fan controller. I actually have the one Radical linked to in my HTPC. If it won't work with your case door you could always try mounting it backwards. I have mine backwards so it doesn't mess up the clean look of the HTPC case. The only downside is you have to open the case to adjust the fans, but once I got them set so I couldn't hear them I haven't touched it.

yeah, that's actually a good idea. Since I'm planning on picking up another rheobus to have on hand, I'll give this a shot first, thanks for the idea.

Mr. Roboto said:
I always forget about SPR heh.

After looking at their stie, these are their top choices for 80mm and 92mm fans:

http://www.svc.com/df1209sl-3.html

http://www.svc.com/sp802512l-03.htm

They look decent, but then again, so didn't the vantec stealths. Anyone have any experience with the ones I linked to above?

Thanks again, guys.

if spcr liked them they are good... they are super anal about any noises lol... the vantec steal (i fell into the same trap as you... stealth my ***) my 92mm vantec stealth has a HORRIBLE clicking noise at any voltage... i guess thats why that fan gets the duty of cooling my rc car batters when charging...

And 7 and 5 vmods on fans are wonders...

One word of advice... DONT LET THE SILENT PC BUG GET YOU... it will make you want to make ur computer silent.... to where you go to a full passive system and a solid state drive lol... my server that sits on 24/7 has 2 120mm fans and a 92... the 92 is at about 4v... and the cpu antec tri cool is @ 7volts and at its medium setting (so i guess 6v) and the front antec tri cool is @ 5 and medium... it spins so slow... and yet i am still in the process of making is silent... AHH

nd4spdbh2 said:
if spcr liked them they are good... they are super anal about any noises lol... the vantec steal (i fell into the same trap as you... stealth my ***) my 92mm vantec stealth has a HORRIBLE clicking noise at any voltage... i guess thats why that fan gets the duty of cooling my rc car batters when charging...

And 7 and 5 vmods on fans are wonders...

One word of advice... DONT LET THE SILENT PC BUG GET YOU... it will make you want to make ur computer silent.... to where you go to a full passive system and a solid state drive lol... my server that sits on 24/7 has 2 120mm fans and a 92... the 92 is at about 4v... and the cpu antec tri cool is @ 7volts and at its medium setting (so i guess 6v) and the front antec tri cool is @ 5 and medium... it spins so slow... and yet i am still in the process of making is silent... AHH

It's already gotten to me. I've changed the fan in my psu like 4 times hah. Still cant find a good one for it.

Mr. Roboto said:
It's already gotten to me. I've changed the fan in my psu like 4 times hah. Still cant find a good one for it.

lol i had one case that i was so anal i only had 2 fans... cpu and psu both running at rediculously slow speeds... and the whole case was lined with 1/2inch thick carpet padding... worked really good actually.

Back