• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phanteks Evolv mATX (TG), 2x280mm rads, Hardline build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

So here I'll start my stupid build.

this started with just a simple refresh to my antec remote fusion case here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/784150-Sleeper-HTPC-Gaming-rig

well, I decided I wanted a better case for custom watercooling, bought the evolv
then, I decided I wanted to game at ultrawide 1440p, bought a monitor
then, I decided I wanted better FPS, bought a GTX 1080 FTW2
now i want everything to run cool, quiet, and be pretty

as you can see, it's snowballing... :burn:

So here's the plan.

Phanteks Evolv mATX Tempered Glass case
2x 280mm HWL Black Ice Nemesis GTS
4x 140mm Phanteks PH-F140MP
EK Supremacy EVO CPU block (nickel/plexi)
EK GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU block (nickel/plexi)
EK GTX 1080 FTW backplate (black)
Laing D5 (non vario) pump, repurposed from an old build
EK XRES 100 Revo D5 pumptop/res combo
Bitspower 14mm hardline PETG
Bitspower 14mm Enhance Multi-Link fittings
various other bitspower adapter fittings that I'll likely need, will have a drain valve as well
green LEDs for the CPU block and GPU block
Mayhems Pastel White coolant

initial mock ups show everything fitting VERY tight. like fans from the front rad touching and overlapping with the fans from the top rad but it's my fault for using 2x280mm rads. i wanted maximum rad area without cutting into the case. I could have went with a 280 and a 240, and I think I wouldn't have any clearance issues, but I'd lose out on ~15% rad area. Plus I'm a sucker for consistency and wont have to mix and match fans. 4x 140mm is cleaner to me than 2 140s and 2 120s. I've not seen 2x280 attempted in this case, so maybe this is a first.

I'm planning to put the pump/res in place of the rear 140mm case fan. looks like it'll JUST fit between the video card and top rad. Filling the loop might be a challenge if i can't access the top of the res to add fluid lol.

I'm sorry for lack of pics right now, but I'll try to add some mock up pics tonight. Still waiting on tubing, fittings, GPU block, and 1080 card to come. everything should be here by the weekend though.

This is what I settled on for pump/res placement. I had planned to put the pump/res where the rear 140mm fan goes, but it was just too tight. I wouldn't be able to fill the loop.

It's tight.

YTjqGI5.jpg
yR9ACBN.jpg

Drain valve.

FOYylrO.jpg

Stress testing the new GTX 1080 FTW2. This is a hot card! FurMark 3440x1440, no AA (85avg FPS). Everything over 80c at stock settings and fan profile. Good thing it'll be watercooled lol.

rNYSRKD.jpg

So I got a lot accomplished yesterday. Finished all aspects of the build.

Replaced the noisy fan in the PSU with one of the extra 140mm Phanteks case fans.
De-lidded the 7700k and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
Installed the EKWB and Backplate on the 1080 FTW2
Installed the LEDs into the CPU block and GPU block
Test fitted all components to check for clearance issues
Decided to move the pump/res about 1/2" closer to the PSU for better access and clearance to the lower ports on the front radiator
Cut and bent all needed tubing runs
Cable managed and filled/bled loop
Fired it up and checked for any leaks

So this literally took me all day. I never rush because I can obsess with making sure I'm doing everything 100% right. Or going back to fix mistakes or things I forgot. But overall I'm very happy how this turned out. Not bad for my first hardline build. I didn't get the tubes perfect, but I got them all on the first try. All the tubes only have 2 bends, except the tube running from the CPU outlet to the front radiator which has 4 bends and I think was the hardest run to make.

With all the tubes bent/cut, everything had to be installed in a set order so that everything could fit and was accessible for tightening.

Pics!

Delidded 7700k
fS3p3Zw.jpg

Install progress
gY0peU9.jpg
cjRjuNb.jpg
o8nGGqI.jpg
Kc2vV3b.jpg
Yc5K6Yw.jpg
1IHBRBf.jpg
Cb5f5TQ.jpg
gO1WbXR.jpg
iSupmy7.jpg
jeES893.jpg

You can see in the second to last pic how the top fan on the front rad overlaps with the front fan on the top rad. Not ideal, but it's the only configuration I could get to fit both radiators and still be able to access the ports for tightening fittings or other clearance issues.

Did some initial testing last night.

Running FurMark, GPU hits about 60c with the case lid on, 55c with the lid off

Prime95, CPU hits 70c on the hottest core
(87c prior to delid with EVGA 240mm AIO)

A good comparison of the GPU temps before and after. I only ran the air cooled setup for about 10 mins because it doesn't take long for the air cooler to reach max temps. But it takes a while for water so I ran that one for about 45mins. I extrapolated the air cooler temps and assumed they'd stay more or less the same.

Interesting to see that boost clocks were higher on the water cooled setup due to higher thermal headroom. Time to crank it up!

Both ran on FurMark with identical settings. Orange is Air, Blue is water.

Nfecy8A.png

finished off the build with a 250GB 960EVO for the OS drive. previously was running 2x 250GB 850 EVOs, one for OS, and one for games storage, but even though i dont have many games, the games drive was filling up, and new titles take up quite a bit of space. So i threw both 850's into a 500GB raid-0 setup for games storage (with a backup to HDDs externally)

XETssxH.jpg
pLDn1av.jpg

I've decided to name her GLaDOS. Seemed fitting being a computer, and my love for the Portal/HL universe. And the white accents go well with that. would be better with blue lighting, but oh well lol.

GLaDOS gets an upgrade!

picked up an EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 Hydro Copper. I also wanted to replace my old Gigabyte ODIN 800w PSU. nothing wrong with it, but i didnt like the quad rail 12V design. too easy for me to max out a single rail and cause a shutdown. Plus it was an older 80+ Bronze unit. I replaced it with a Corsair TX850M, single 12V rail and 80+ Gold rated.

redoing the lines turned out to be a major pain, but i struggled through it.

l1JFVot.jpg
MJuojSk.jpg

I did the same build as you!

I did the same build as you I was a pain in the ***!

Back